Monday, April 14, 2008

I just want to DO what I want to DO!!!!!!!!

First off, recap of my weekend fun. Saturday I woke up and had plans to ride with the tri club but realized it just wasn't going to happen. I was low on sleep and lately i'm a little trigger shy with my training if I feel even a little 'off' after getting sick two times in two weeks. So I decided to sleep longer, go for a 5.5 mile run later in the day when it stopped feeling like July (I swear it is April?? 95 degrees in April, I have no idea where I moved to.) Pretty good run. Hip happy for the most part all was well.

Sunday I decided I was going to do a hilly 30 miles...at first. Awhile ago a friend of mine asked me if I wanted to do the Rosarito-Ensenada bike ride, a 50 mile bike ride down in Mexico. Travel in and out of Mexico has been rumored that you now need your passport and since mine had just expired, I was waiting for it to come in the mail. Saturday when I went to pick up my mail at my PO box, there was a note saying I had an expedited letter waiting for me that I needed to pick up when they were open. Only thing it could be is my passport! Wooohoo!

So...I realized I'd been riding 30 miles fairly consistently over the past few week, so inching to 40 this week and then doing 50 next week (which would be more of a 'ride' and less of a training ride anyway...no hammer fest with the people I'd be going with) would actually work out pretty well. I live in a pretty urban area of SD, and not the most biker friendly area as it is so much stop and go traffic...but there are some nasty hills near me. Short ones, and longer ones. I managed to crank out the first 20 miles in my neighborhood and then I got bored and went to find more open area to finish the 20 miles. Actually that was a good decision because the first 20 were some great hills and the second 20, while hilly, I was able not to totally kill my legs, but still keep it in the 'hilly' category. Nice.

Tonight...crossfit. I've been hating to admit it, but as of today my core was still somewhat sore from last week's evil GHB episode. But oddly while I was sore all week, it wasn't as sore as I've been with other ventures like when I tried out the pilates/gravity thingy at the gym last year and it felt like I got kicked in the chest by a horse and my abs hurt when I laughed. No, it was more random things...like when I would clip out on a bike ride or sitting up in bed in the morning. And then it would go away. So I just didn't think about it. And it wasn't as acute as after a first venture to pilates where you can't move for a few days and then it the soreness goes away. This has just been 'subtlely' sore for a WEEK!

Today, I walked into the gym only to find the workout that had leveled me back in Feb. Five rounds of the following:

15 Deadlifts (95lbs)
400m run
15 situps GHB...(last time it was 30 situps on the floor, but my gym just got new GHB thingys and they are inflicting all kinds of pain with them now)

I didn't know how I would do with my sore abs. Over the weekend I even tried to figure out if I had strained something last week, but after poking and prodding it didn't seem like anything was abnormally hurting. I made a comment to the owner of the gym...she said give it a go on the GHB and see how I do. I did one round on the GHB and said no more. I was starting to worry if I continued on the GHB for all 5 rounds I would do some serious damage. So...I listened to my body and opted for 30 situps on the floor instead. But I may still be in 'trouble'.

It's not the typical area of where my psoas likes to freak out. My hip is fine, but there is another area that can get tender and feel like all kinds of stupidity when pressed on, and this the area flaring up and if I inhale REALLY deep I can feel it a little bit. (i'm scared of sneezing at the moment too). I'm icing as I type this. I'll apply some heat later as that helps if a muscle spasm is taking place.

Warning: Total ranting

I'm just going to say it...if I've done something to myself again...I'm going to be PISSED OFF. Crossfit has actually been helping my stupid psoas issues. While longer distance training had been aggravating it a bit (which was one factor into my decision on not doing Vineman, get healthy deal with stupid psoas) but interestingly all the squats at crossfit seemed to be helping. I hadn't had a crossfit workout over the past 3.5 months where I left and I was even marginally bothered by my psoas, but I've had a MULTITUDE of tri related workouts that have only aggravated it. And I've been doing crossfit since my psoas was at its worst. So while they workouts have been hard, I've modified where need be. I even freaking modified tonight's workout when I realized the GHB was going to do some damage. I FREAKING listened when my body said 'let's not do that'.

Let's just say...i'm a little unhappy with how my stomach is feeling at the moment and i REALLY, REALLY, hope this is just a false alarm and I haven't done anything utterly stupid. 'm going to stop ranting right now, as some of this rant is due to other things too..but I just want to scream. This frustrates me beyond words at the moment.

So...i hope I can wake up all happy skippy tomorrow and laugh at how i totally freaked out over nothing tonight. I'm going to consider going to yoga tomorrow morning....that is assuming I can sit up in the morning.

3 comments:

Sarah said...

Dang. :(

I really REALLY hope you didn't do anything, either.

I can only imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

I've had a taste of injury in the past and it was the most frustrating, angering process.

Hope it starts to get better!!!

Runner Leana said...

Rant totally allowed - I'm hoping your stomach is feeling better!

Angry Runner said...

Methinks you've activated something in your midsection that has been lying dormant for quite a while, thus the lingering pain. Keep in mind that you've activated it with an unfamiliar motor pattern with a bit of leverage and a nasty bit of volume. My guess is that it shakes out over time and you'll be fine.

re: Psoas- You may not be a distance girl after all if that sort of stuff bothers you. Go heavy at CF and give it some time, then ease back into SBR and you should be ok.

I'm still jealous of your CF gym.