Monday, April 28, 2008

Salt , Hooding and Wildflower

Salt
Salt intake sometimes confuses me. OK, it's not the actual intake of salt or the why of salt it is more related to how my body deals with its need for salt.

This weekend wasn't a huge training weekend. I actually had plans of a run on saturday that got taken over dealing with some last bits of grad school insanity that I'll go into later. So...grad school...STILL won that one. Soon, very soon, that will NEVER happen again. I'm not even in grad school anymore! But in my haste to get out of grad school I left some unfinished business behind. Major part of it is taken care of with a small minor part to go.

On sunday I got a bike ride in. Nothing major. Only 20 miles. Nothing fast as it was windy and HOT...but whatever. Between the ride and getting to the car I drank two 24 oz bottles of liquid. One water, one with powerbar endurance. I have a moderate sweat rate most of the time and I didn't feel particularly hot or thirsty after the ride and continued to drink fluids the rest of the day.

But today...I was in a meeting where they were serving chips. Under normal circumstances I don't care much for chips to be honest...but I saw them and i KNEW I wanted the chips...solely for the salt. (fortunately they were baked chips). I probably should have grabbed the pretzels, but in all honestly I just wanted the salt on them. I've been like this all afternoon! Dinner...give me some SALT.

I've had weird salty cravings after longer training weekends and the like, but 20 miles on the bike? AND I had some sports drink...this is just weird the level of salt cravings I am having.

Hooding
Well...still two more days to deal with fiascoville with tying up loose ends for the final bits of the degree. My fiasco the other week with FedEx was with documents not getting to committee members in other countries. But...i think all is well...and all is back in the states. The dissertation has been uploaded. Final signatures are being hunted down on my behalf in MA. I might just have this all done and since I am one who needs closure on the situation I may just make them hood me in May.

Wildflower
I am currently making final arrangements with the other part of my relay. What I need for camping...all of that. Wildflower is this weekend. I had an anti-nightmare last week where I had a dream where what I had been imagining for the hills wasn't as bad as the actual hills. Although I was just told if I had done such-and-such hill here in SD, I would have a good idea what Lynch hill is all about. Not very helpful now. My plan is to keep it consistent as much as possible for the first half and go as hard as I can on the second half. I don't have to run...so my plan is to just hand off to my relay team and head for the lake to soak my poor legs. I am pretty sure it may be the hardest 25 miles I've ridden to date. But I'm up for it. It may be slow...but I have been doing (slow) hills all around here. Practicing my waltzing...which sometimes goes from one- two- three into one (hufff) two (huff) threeeeeeeeeeeeee(huff)...I guess I'm a bad waltzer :-)

9 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

Wildflower...you go girl! i heard it's a great race, I hope you have a blast.

Speed Racer said...

Hmmmm... I don't really get that salt thing and I'm a big sweater. But still I have this GREAT image in my head of you sitting in a conference room not able to listen to anything ANYONE says while you stare fixedly at the chips. Then someone's in the middle of a powerpoint presentation and you just suddenly roar and climb on top of the table and start shoveling fists of chips into your mouth. I have an active imagination.

Need me to go knock on doors and knock on skulls for you here in the Commonwealth?

Good luck at Wildflower. It may be horrible, but if you're like me, you won't remember how awful it felt once you get your breath back. And I'm sure all those crossfit squats will count for SOMETHING.

Sarah said...

You're going to have a great time. Just um..maybe load up on salt tablets?

That's hilarious...but important, too. HAVE A GREAT TIME THIS WEEKEND!!!!!!!

rocketpants said...

Speedy...that over active imagination of yours isn't too far off from how I felt. I wanted to rip the pretzles out of a coworkers hands when I saw he had some. I managed to refrain from licking the salt off the chips solely because I realized that might be deemed unprofessional.

Please beat up a few people in the Commonwealth for me. More headaches, but I hope that they are over by friday.

Paul said...

Good luck at Wild Flower!!

Nitsirk said...

I am so glad you are getting the loose ends tied up. I am still battling them on my end. I have a paper I can't get my advisor to work on. It's been a year and I am starting to lose motivation. Oh well, the job rocks so whatever.

Good luck at Wildflower, you will rock. I have heard it is an excellent time and is on my "Someday" list. Have fun!

triguyjt said...

hilarious image of you ripping the chips out of the co workers hands....

late nights, i craves the pretzels or chips... i dont know if its the carbs or the salt. i just know when i make popcorn....dear god, do i pile on the salt...

good luck at wildflower

Angry Runner said...

Hooding sounds like something gangs do at night...rolling through the 'hood, getting some hooding on...

Joe B said...

Yes come visit. When is Graduation? You can stay with us if you fly through the big city.