Friday, November 27, 2009

10k...Thanksgiving...and all the dressings


i've been in the category of 'endurance' athlete for about 6 years now. 2003 being my first sprint distance triathlon. Since then I have had a lot of firsts at many distances: some 5k's, a few10k's, a handful of half mary's, lots of sprint triathlons, multiple olympic distance triathlons, and my first half ironman. What I have discovered (moreso after moving to San Diego) is that I have developed a case of 'endurance arrogance' and many people around here also seem to have this.

I didn't want to do a 5K because...well...they hurt...a lot. My friend didn't want to do the 5K because: why would you want to get up that early to just run 3.1 miles?

Yep...give me 6 miles of hurting, but a different kind of hurt... i'll take that any day. I find it much easier to race at my LT than the constant edge between my LT/AT range required for a 5K. Maybe i'm just a wuss.

That thought process made me realize...that is kinda nuts compared to the standard population. Yes...i'd much rather race for 6 miles than 3? And back in Aug when I was bemoaning the fact I had signed up for AFC half marathon and a friend of mine said: oh it's just a 2 hour workout. We endurance athletes really need to get our heads checked!

The race went well...i achieved the three goals I had set out for myself: negative the two loop course, focus on footfalls/min >90 (weirdly leg turn over was more sluggish than normal) and swing my arms. I even managed to PR at the race with a time of 52:22! My previous 10K PR was off the end of Malibu Oly tri in Sept around 54:11. Not bad considering while i'm MUCH improved from the flu...i can tell i'm not 100% yet.

This is what got me to thinking more about endurance arrogance....i came home and pondered WHY i was tired. I thought it strange that I NEEDED a nap i mean...it was ONLY 6.2 miles...and then this morning was almost confused as to why my hamstrings were tight. This morning, I pretty much had forgotten that I had raced 6.2 miles yesterday....ahem...endurance arrogance.

So...to pull it back to reality...for thanksgiving I am thankful for being ABLE to wake up and run around like a turkey with her head cut off for 6.2 miles. That's pretty cool in itself and sometimes I need to remind myself of that.

Thanksgiving also reminded me of the fact: i don't like to cook. I had also re-realized this earlier in the week when I attempted some other cooking. I usually 'assemble' my dinner. Minimal 'real' cooking involved and NOTHING that requires a recipe. I may have been in 4-H as a kid and even won a gold ribbon a time or two for my cooking at the State fair (don't laugh too hard)...but as an adult...not a fan.

What a mess...and I was just making ONE side dish for dinner. Oh well. Thanksgiving was a chaotic assembly of a lot of random people but a good time...even punctuated with a big dance party at the end. No better way to burn off that pumpkin pie than with a dance party.

Thanksgiving is a day to be thankful...and i am of many, many things.

4 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Oooh, my T-day didn't have a dance party! You lucky girl.

Congrats on the race! Even if it felt sluggish. Didn't you say you're still recovering from swine flu?

I wanted to race but it sold out (b/c I waited too long!)

Here's to health!

Charisa said...

I'd rather run a 10k over a 5k any day!

Anniversary Moments said...

i will join you over in the wuss corner -- shorter distances are waaay harder

Speed Racer said...

First off, I just scrolled through about a year of posts looking for a video you embedded that I couldn't find on youtube, and I realized HOW MUCH of the last year I have missed. I suck. You always have the most interesting things to say!

That being said, you're so right! Why get out of bed for a 5K? I mean, it's not even half an hour. But DAMN, they hurt. And don't you wind up burning as many calories recovering from a fast 5K than an easy 10K anyway? But who wants to hurt that much? It's like spreading the work of a max lift over 3 sets of 10: waaaay easier! Congratulations on your PR!

Anyway, Happy Thanksgiving! I'm thankful for your blog, which always gives me something to think about...