Sunday, April 26, 2009

What an awesome day!

The quick and dirty: La Jolla Half marathon was today...According to my garmin= 1:54:32 (granted I also ran 13.2 miles but that is expected...can't run all the tangents and there is always some zig-zagging). Previous half marathon PR in 2006: 1:58:14. A PR by roughly 3:15 on a very hilly course (1800 ft of elevation gain/loss)!!! It.was.awesome!!

The long report:
My running has been improving a lot this season and it has been a lot of fun to watch and challenge myself with it. It's been exciting, but I recently have realized that as my running has been coming along well...I didn't know if it was coming along well enough to PR on such a hilly course. I really wanted the PR and knew I could PR on a flat course, but this one? I had a suspicion that if I had good weather (check), I felt good (check) and it all came together (double check) that I could PR. But races are sorta exciting in a way because....you never know what is going to happen. It is a big surprise in a way.

Being obsessive as any other racer leading into a race...I probably checked the weather report at least a few (hundred) times every day to see how saturday's race would be. Last year it was HOT and in the high 80s...this year...perfect 60ish and at one point was supposed to be overcast...but some winds. (which in my opinion is prefect running weather...not too hot and not too sunny). In the end sunny/coolish/and a slight ocean breeze....pretty much perfection.

I am my own sherpa
Last year the race ran out of water, having run the race last year KatieB told me to carry my own water. I didn't really want to in all honesty, but I also knew that if I got myself dehydrated...even if the race went fine...i'd be mad at myself...so I carried my water...my nutrition...my cell phone (for after)...my key to my car...you know....whatever else I could cram in there. ;-) It wasn't an ideal situation, but it was what it was.

In the end there was enough water for where I was running in the race, but it was questionable to me if people at the back would have enough.

Amazingly there really isn't a lot to tell about the race. It all kinda blurred together and went by pretty fast too! There is a gnarly hill in the middle that is a 420 ft climb over a mile...that was...gnarly...but ok. The beginning of the race and the end flew by. This is only my 4th half marathon ever, but what I find the most interesting I felt the strongest for it during all parts of the race as well as it was mentally one of the easiest for me too.

My friend Sam is a runner and we were chatting yesterday before the race. She is a fearless downhill runner and during our conversation I told her I would just channel her for every downhill. So on every downhill I thought: RUN LIKE SAM! I think that in part is why I did have some fantastic downhill times.

My coach came down for the race and even ran with me for few bits of the race...which was completely appreciated.

Overall an awesome day. I had some friends come out to the race to cheer me on and go out for breakfast. It was great to share a great day with good friends.

10 comments:

Joe B said...

WAY TO GO!!!!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Congrats on a great race! So impressive and you should be giving yourself high fives and big bear hugs all week! Heck, all month! Rock star!

Charisa said...

CONGRATS!!!! That is awesome and a hard course!

Paul said...

Congrats!! That course is NOT easy. It's a fun race though!

Runner Leana said...

Nice PR!!!! Congratulations! I wasn't a huge fan of carrying my own fluids either, but now I know it is the way to go in a race. I can drink when I want and don't have to slow down with everyone else for the water stops. Plus I can keep up with drinking nuun instead of what is on the course. Not a fan of the extra weight, but oh well!

Anyhow...congratulations on your absolutely stellar performance!!

Bullet said...

Hey great time! How awesome is a PR!! 400 foot climbs are no fun.

My race is the Plymouth Rock IDT in Plymouth, MA on Sept 6th.

Bob Almighty said...

Awesome race! Glad you had ideal weather for it.

Formulaic said...

Man! You are on fire!

Way to go with a PR and lots of climbing.

This season could be very exciting for you

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Great job!!! Nothing like a PR on tough course!!

Benson said...

Wow, nice job.
Very exciting that your running is getting faster.