Friday, December 07, 2007

Update

So wednesday I got in to see a sports medical doctor. Granted I had to plead "urgent care"...but the way I was feeling on Wednesday morning after the run I had on tuesday I was verging on "urgent care". The sucky thing about this hip flexor issue is that when it hurts...I can barely sit up in bed.


So I went to the doctor...and the verdict: apparently when I fell last month I triggered some sort of spasm in one of my hip flexor muscles that was already crazy tight. I had started with tight hip muscles and the fall has caused some spasming that may have lead to a pulled muscle in my Psoas and Illiacus and is contributed to some increase in 'clicking' in the hip. (which hurts) Since we are getting into Dec and my good health insurance that would let me see some of the PTs i'd like to will kick in a few weeks...i'm going to wait it out. I've made an appointment to get some ART (active release therapy)...i will do more yoga like it is going out of style...look into some acupuncture, try to get a couple of massages in this month and use the book the doctor prescribed on Trigger Point Therapy. We all need more self inflicted pain right? owch.

The doctor said I didn't have to stop running unless I was getting pain while I was running...which I usually wasn't or it was at the end of the run. My plan is to dial it back to more like 3 miles x 3 times a week and skip the group running. The 5 miles on each of the runs I've been on in the past few weeks have taken too long to recoup from. So until I can get this strain/tight muscle under control, i'm just running enough so my body won't forget how.

Hopefully we can sort this out asap...its freaking me out a little since I just signed up for a HIM...i know I have time...but the doctor did say that soft tissue injuries can be hard to recover from. AKkkkk

9 comments:

Speed Racer said...

That verdict sounds a lot more credible than the first theory, that it was actually an injury to your chi. It sucks that it could take awhile to heal, but at least you're not completely sidelined. Feel better!

Angry Runner said...

God Bless soft tissue. Between the PT, ART, massage, yoga, steroids, narcotics, etc...you should be fine after a while. I am a huge believer in the massage/rolling as clearing up a lot of the tightness. Maybe I'm cynical, but I would much rather have a few spazzed muscles than something screwed up deep in the joint(cartilage, ligaments).

Do document what works and what makes you feel better. It's good stuff to know.

IronWaddler said...

Hope things feel better soon!

Bullet said...

Yeah, still hanging on the edge of the earth right now. Not fallen all the way off. Good luck with the rehab. I believe this is the second time you've fallen. Is this a trend?

Sunshine said...

Blessings for good healing...

Benson said...

Ah yes, this is where the healing begins.
Best wishes for a speedy mending.

Renee said...

Here is another book that you may find helpful while you are waiting to see your therapist: Self Massage For The Athlete
http://www.selfmassageforathletes.com/

DV said...

wishing 4 you a speedy recovery. take cre of it the right way now or it will linger for months... dv

mindy said...

Wishing you a rocket recovery. You have plenty of time before the HIM to heal up. Good thing is you can keep running. I know how you're feeling. Stay strong and keep us posted!