Wednesday, April 16, 2008

things

So...Tuesday I did not wake up 'Happy Skippy' as I hoped...but I also was able to sit up in bed and sneezing didn't scare me anymore. The icing and heating helped. But me, being a moron (as I can be) thought "since this is kinda related to my psoas, i'm guessing my hips need some more stretching out". I mean it is sorta part of the psoas issue. More illiacus, than psoas...but when I was seeing my PT he had found a tender areas in the region of concern at the moment. And the other major concern is...its the soreness is only on one side, the side I injured.

So me in my stubborness and stupidity decided that oh NO, I wouldn't do a swim-bike or run workout...i'd be 'nicer' to myself. I'll go do yoga. Yea, Yoga will sort this out. Stretching is good right?

Ok recently I haven't been to my local yoga studio place. I have a gym that has about a thousand yoga classes, so i'm trying to be resourceful and use my gym and not the yoga studio, even though I think one of the instructors is so awesome, but still I'm paying money to go to a gym, I should use it. A word about yoga in most 'gym' environments...it is not the same as a yoga studio. AT.ALL. I know this. Occasionally I've found a yoga instructor at a gym who rocks, but typically gym yoga is a little of the 'watered' down variety.

I heart Ashtanga yoga. I've gone through the whole primary series through a month long seminar. And I used to practice regularly with an instructor who wasn't necessarily a hard core primary-secondary series type of Ashtanga but gave a killer power class with a billion sun salutations. I think I like Ashtanga partly because it is a workout and partly because you don't have to hold a pose for a million years because you are 'flowing' from one to another.

BUT I think yesterday I did not remember that Ashtanga = core. Or better said, I chose to forget it. I chose to think I didn't *really* have anything strained in my core. No. I'm stubborn. I think I 'rationalized' that since I wasn't doing a S-B-R workout and I wasn't doing crossfit I was 'golden'. I'm a little slow at times. Getting things through my thick skull takes awhile to sink in...especially trying to convince myself to 'back off'.

I go to yoga at my local studio on Tuesday, with my favorite instructor. It is an Ashtanga for beginners class. (right) Only a level 2 class...so I figure not too bad right? The instructor asks about injuries, one guy (who had been a regular) was recovering from broken ribs and a hamstring injury and the instructor says 'you came to Ashtanga for your first class back?' I mention my strained oblique. I get much of the same. And it hits me...he's right. What AM I doing there?? Holy Crap. Ashtanga uses tons of core.

So, i give myself a 'pass' if I hurt too much i'll just hang out in Child's pose most of the time. So we start. I discover, oh, jump backs and jump ups...inflict pain. None of those. No big deal. Upward dog to downward dog...um, we have a minor problem. Plank? Nope. And of course he wants to work on jump through and jump backs from seated positions. So I'm basically screwed most of the time trying not to inflict more pain on myself.

If you don't speak yoga I'm sure you are lost. Imagine sitting cross legged on the ground, put your hands on the ground next to your hips. Lift your butt off the ground. Now tip your nose toward the ground with the whole body rotating too... while 'shooting' your legs behind you into a high push-up position. Lots-o-core.

I sorta just flopped about on my mat during all of that. On a good day i'm crap at that stuff. I got home, iced, iced, and applied more ice. Added some heat. Today I am sore to the touch in the area of question, but not too worse for wear.

Then today, I was SO inclined to go to the bike workout this evening, I even had my bike and everything with me at work...I finally just said NO. I took the day off. Tomorrow I will see what i will do. I may do an easy peasy bike ride. Crossfit temps me, but I refuse to do core work if I go. Hmmm...maybe just an easy peasy bike ride. Sigh. I hate this.

So, I'm not going to do the 50 mile bike ride this weekend. While it wouldn't be a training ride pace, I think i'm asking for more trouble. I'll probably keep it to 30 or so. Maybe if I keep things low key I'll get over this stupidity quickly.

5 comments:

Sunshine said...

Oh Dear One!!
You are strong and courageous.. well, a little stubborn, maybe, but you don't give up... and that can be good.

Take care, be wise, don't give up on yourself.. and by all means, keep ranting. You are an inspiration.

Sarah said...

Awww, girl...

I'm similar in some ways. I can relate to the stubbornness. I'm just so sorry you have to go through this.

I think you're right to just give your body a break. Truly rest...allow those strains to heal and let your body do what it knows how to do. It sounds like you're just not quite giving it a break before it is finished healing.

I know - way easier said than done. :(

Don't give up! You've got the drive and motivation. If you're looking for more motivation, go read Marit's Blog. She's dealing with a lot right now, too.

Patience, time and determination...you'll get there. :)

Speed Racer said...

OUCH! Keep resting like you are, don't do anything (else) stupid, and this will all be a distant memory... hopefully.

How in the world does one strain an oblique, anyway?

mindy said...

hang in there rocket. I know EXACTLY what you are going through, and it bites the big one. I think this will pass though - take it easy, listen to your body and do things that don't make it hurt for now. You'll be back soon - this is just a tiny, tiny insignificant bump in the road, you'll be back to normal in no time! Sending all my healing support across the miles...

triguyjt said...

rocket...

I am somewhat literate with yoga and i was wincing as i was reading about your yoga class.....

you'll be back as good as new soon...


patience patience patience