Wednesday, April 09, 2008

The HILLS are alive...

I'd post a Sound of Music clip or something, but that musical drives me nuts...ESPECIALLY when she's twirling around singing "The Hills are alive...with the sound of music"...so I'll spare you. I'll spare me. Anyway...

Today was hill repeats with the tri club. I got to the determined location...and didn't get lost...had a HEART attack as I drove up the hill (as it was a 15% grade according to one sign) AND the traffic was a little scary too. So I had no idea what I was in for.

As I was getting my bike out of my car, I discovered that I had a flat rear tire. Bummer. I got the wheel off the bike, changed the tire LIKE A CHAMP (ok...it wasn't like I changed it in less than a minute BUT it was record time for me and even got the tire ON without too much struggle). By the time I had it all pumped up, Paul had shown up for the workout also and gave me a few pointers on how to get the rear tire back on a little easier and helped me with the last bits of getting the wheel back on in a 'smoother' fashion. (Thanks again).

Fortunately the person who was coaching the session had picked out a hill that was on a side street and had no outlet so the worry over traffic and the 15% grade was all for not. We did the hill repeats between 5-7 or however many times you could do in the allotted time. Me...it was either 4 or 5, i lost count, I think it was 4. As I predicted, pretty pathetic on the climbing, but that's why we do these things. To get better at them. (Later I was told I was using the wrong gearing...but again...that's why we practice these things) On the way after the hill repeats headed back to the car, the person coaching the session showed me how to 'waltz' up the hills. THAT was cool...basically push hard on one peddle, and then lighter for the next two...and then push hard again...light on the next two strokes (Left-right-left; RIGHT-left-right...ect). Like a waltz...ONE-two-three...ONE-two-three. You get actually more power/speed and you don't tax your legs as quickly. I will try it out as I am bound and determined to LOVE hills as much as I can over the next few weeks before Wildflower.

7 comments:

J said...

Hmmm... I should try doing hill repeats. I suck on hills. In running AND biking.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I will have to practice the waltz. I hope it works.

Sarah said...

Oooooooh never heard of the waltz. I LOVE IT!

I've also read (I think I mentioned it in my blog, too) that you should work harder to get up the hills and relax on the downhills (some people try to go a little lighter up the hills since they're already working hard to get up, then really try to push it down the hill). So between 'working harder' but 'waltzing' at the same time...maybe we'll both make some improvements!

Now I can't wait to get out there on the hills this weekend!

:D

oh p.s. NICE work on the rear wheel. I got a flat on my rear wheel last weekend and my buddy Tim was totally making fun of me for how long I took. It didn't help that his jests had me laughing as well, so it made it harder for me to get the tire back on. Sigh...took a whole 9 minutes...

I'm totally screwed in a race if I get a flat (especially on the back). Really.

IronWaddler said...

I guess hills sort of grow on you or in front of you, Nice workout.

Angry Runner said...

Ya good job Pants. Hillz are kool.

triguyjt said...

way to rip up the hills..pants...

nice job....

Bullet said...

Will definitely try waltzing this weekend. Cool!