Thursday, April 17, 2008

Awwww...

Thanks everyone for your comments. I appreciate it. None of us likes to be injured and injuries just seem to be crazy frustrating. Mindy is having some of that PT love that all of us athlete's don't like so much. My PT is a triathlete and I when he finally released me a few weeks ago, told him that I'd rather see him at tri's and say 'hi' and have a bagel or something than continue to be his patient. I mean he's a great PT, don't get me wrong, but I feel that way about just about any PT. They inflict pain for a living. It is never any fun.

Today I opened my USA Triathlon Life magazine and was reading an inspiring article on triathletes who have come back from MASSIVE injuries. I'm not equating my injury by any means on this level...AT.ALL. I mean one of the guys had been crushed by a bus and is lucky he wasn't paralyzed and is now fighting his way back to be a triathlete. Truly amazing. The article had a great, applicable quote that hit home for me and made me realize how worked up I can get over injuries:

When healing, less is often better, a notion counter to everything multisport athletes believe. Recovery abides by its own pace. It can't be rushed regardless of how distasteful a sedentary lifestyle becomes.

So true. Less is often better and so hard to remember.

To address Speedy's puzzling question of "how does one strain their oblique?" My answer...I'm super talented. While it seems that I may have not shown up on the day they were giving away the 'super duper speedy/graceful athletic talents' I sure showed up when they were handing out the gift of cluzy, stupid, injury talents. I mean this psoas stupidity that started back in November was due to me falling while trail running, granted you could blame the whole "it was at night thing"...but falling on a knee and then ending up in PT for 3 months. Nice one. Or how about falling down the stairs a year and a half ago? I'm just fortunate I didn't break my arm or crack my head open. Or when I was 15, I even crashed the first (and last) time I ever went mountain biking in which I got a concussion ended up on a spine board for 4 hours and then to hospital for CAT scans to which the doctor said: Wow you have all four of your wisdom teeth...and I replied: Did I break my neck and can I go home now? Grace is not my middle name.

In all fairness, I think the strained oblique is related to the fact my right side has been weaker with trying to rehab my psoas, so when I ventured to Crossfit last week and had the evil workout on the G-H-B I mildly induced some strain in that side since with the situps you do 'kick' yourself up on the G-H-B with the hips/core. So, I think the root cause of the strain is because I'm recovering from the psoas injury. They do seem linked considering where the strain is, where my PT tended to inflict a lot of pain, and the general muscle group responsible. Also remember, I'm super talented like that. :-)

More and more and more I am realizing that this season will be a huge focus on injury recovery/prevention and just getting a super solid base under me. I only have two actual races on my calendar...the bike leg of Wildflower's Oly and a Mud Run in June. I'm started to think about maybe an Aug/Sept Oly and a possible sprint. I may put enough S-B-R training in so I can thrown down a sprint when I want and possibly an Oly later. We shall see.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Better to be safe than sorry. good call

IronWaddler said...

It is a big learning curve for sure that is why I write everything in pencil. Take care/

triguyjt said...

my goodness..you have had the accidents.....wow...

best i can do is i clipped a cow many years ago on a triathlon out in the boonies......how the cow got on the road in the first place???? i will never know...

no...i didnot make the cow my leather bag haha