Monday, February 04, 2008

UN-LUCK-Y

I am the type of person who's luck swings quite wildly. When I have good luck, I don't have "meeh...sorta good luck"...I have AWESOMELY good luck. I also have bizarre luck or bizarre things happen to me on a regular basis...i would say that that is the good luck category because bizarre things are pretty fun and good in my book. Now to make sure that the universe doesn't explode and come to a halt I think that my good luck must be balanced with equally rediculously bad luck. Take falling...i'm good at falling. It was pointed out that I've had two pretty good falls in the past year...actually a year a part from one another. One fall, almost put me in the hospital last year, fortunately I was irrationally concerned about breaking a teapot at the time and ended up just falling on my butt (although I did get a good set of x-rays to make sure I hadn't broken my back)...and the other fall...well that is the current tale of woe of my Psoas issues.

Granted I have bizarre 6 degrees of separation situations, which I would categorize as 'fun good luck' and I have good good luck, like when I found 101 dollars over the course of 5 days. That's pretty darn good luck. But it all must be in balance I guess.

So when I went to Vegas on Thursday, and got to my hotel room to find that the room had not been turned over and cleaned and ready for me, the next guest...pillows strewn, room service cart in room, stuff all over the place (yes, my initial thought was wildly irrational when I thought "I hope no one is dead in my room...I can scream real loud!"...I've watched too much CSI in my life...sigh) and then we went to dinner at a buffet (as you do in Vegas) only to find that when i got to the food plate part, the only plate left was dirty. I decided then and there, that gamblling should really not be on my radar that evening. And I did manage to stay away from any gambling.

So I thought my luck would have changed since last week. I mean time has passed it really should be back to either neutral luck (where it is neither good nor bad), bizarre luck or good luck...right? RIGHT???

COME.ON. I get to spin class. Yes I'm running a little late. To top it off...I have to look like a total nerd in the dressing room because they have moved the scale and now I bring my scale to workouts with me so that I can have lots-o-data for sweat rate calculations (per my nutritionist) so I have to take a few more of my precious seconds of my running late time to weigh myself before the work out. To make things even more fun since it is only early Feb there are still scores of New Year's Res-ers hanging out at the gym AND we just got new spin bikes last week...so now EVERYONE thinks that the cool kids hang out in spin class and if you are a mere 5 minutes late you better pray that there is a bike left.

And there is.

And it is broken.

The seat won't stay up.

The instructor tells me to just 'climb' the whole time and not sit down.

Now considering that on Sunday I did (gasp) what I don't typically do on Superbowl sunday...I actually watched the Superbowl and I ate a lot of yummy, yummy cinnamon gummy bears....and then today I had some yummy, yummy cinnamon gummy bears left over and I had all kinds of intentions of giving them away at work....but when I got to work...I lost all self control. Yummy, Yummy Cinnamon gummy bears went into tummy over the course of the day. So when spin instructor told me I could just stand the whole spin class I thought of gummy bears and realized I had no other choice. It didn't sound so horrible.

OK...owchie feet!! I had to stop every so often and just rest my feet that kept falling asleep. Yowza...I WILL get to class early from now on!!

And then I race from spin class to orchestra rehearsal eating a chicken sandwhich on the way...only to have one side of the sandwich BURNT to a crisp. I guess I'd rather it burnt than undercooked, but seriously...tasty charcoal.

I show up at orchestra rehearsal only to find my stand partner decided not to show up. Errrr..I joined in on this whole orchestra thing a few months ago and might I say, i'm a wee bit out of practice playing my violin. They wouldn't let me hide in the back of the seconds, no I got stuck in 2nd chair on the first stand. Not cuz I can do much good up there, I just think cuz there was a spot and no one else wanted to sit there. Now I had to fake section leader and realize how much I still need to practice. ARG.

So...i really wish my luck would change. Even just neutral boring middle of the road luck would be fine with me. None of this bad luck stuff thank-you-very-much. This worries me a little, I do have to see the PT tomorrow. PULEESE let my luck change by then!!

4 comments:

Steve Stenzel said...

"just climb the whole time"?!?!

TORTURE!!

The Lazy Triathlete said...

Keep a good attitude about it and your luck is bound to change. Look on the bright side--you did not break a tooth, then require a root canal. :)

Benson said...

Just climb...

I would have switched bikes with the instructor.

Wishing for a change of luck to GOOD for you.

Speed Racer said...

Sounds like a pretty crappy day. But I don't think you get to blame the cinnamon gummy bears on bad luck, that one was all you. Not that I blame you, those things are yummy! (Although don't they burn your tongue off if you eat too many).

I hope your luck turns, cuz it looks like you're really paying it forward now. You'd better have something really good coming up!