Thursday, February 28, 2008

Learn my lesson??

I keep thinking that I will one day learn my lessons in training or something like that, but as the days pass I just find I do dumber things that I 'think' might actually not be a silly idea.
You know...powerlifting in the evening on Wednesday at Crossfit and then going to the AM Thursday crossfit workout 12 hours later...it seemed reasonable in my head or something. Notsomuch.

This morning I showed up to crossfit all groggy, not feeling too, too bad from the backsquats and deadlifts we powerlifted 12 hours before. Somehow I told myself that this was a good idea, mainly based upon the fact that I couldn't go to Thursday afternoon's class, and I didn't want to go to Friday's class since I had some plans for actually running and biking on the weekend. And since sometimes the workouts leave me sore for a bit, I thought I would actually give myself a day to recover rather than hop on my bike the next day for a long ride. Soooo...instead of saying "maybe i will only get in one crossfit workout this week", it turned into "well...I guess I will go tomorrow morning". Real.good.logic....not.

This morning was 5 rounds, for time of 500m row, 15 Thrusters (squat on a ball and then do something similar to an overhead press with dumbells on the way back up) with 15lbs and then 15 pullups. After my first round...my thought: PULEEZE shoot me now. All in all it took me 32:15 minutes or something like that. I have my first callous casualty with both hands having the callouses start to rip on the pullups. Owch. My only other option was doing pull ups strict without the kip in them so that I wouldn't keep hurting the callouses...I ended up taking the pain of the kipping pull ups over doing strict pullups mainly because it was taking me an impossibly long time to do the pull ups strict. (even band assisted) I did have to go to work at some point that morning.

The hip injury is behaving itself. I am not fully discharged from my PT, but we are on the "see you in two weeks if you need to" basis. I'm not completely better, but the main things at the moment are tightness in my quads along with tightness in my hip. But I don't really have any pain associated with it anymore, even though the tightness is stressing my running in a minor way. We will see how things go with the increase in training that is starting. I had left my running milage low so that I could focus a bit on getting better before I started training for this HIM and I think that was a wise decision. We shall see how the hip fares over the next few weeks.

4 comments:

mindy said...

Glad to hear the hip is feeling better!! The crossfit stuff sounds intense! Good luck with the ramped up training - You are going to blow away that Vineman course.

triguyjt said...

looks like the hip is better.,,,great...
you are one tough cookie to do that crossfit

awesome

not worth, not worthy

Sunshine said...

Oh so good that you are better. Maybe think ahead and take care. (Easy in hind-sight of course!) Best luck.

Speed Racer said...

Oh no! AND a callus?! I think it's time to look into surgery, my dear!

Do they have a crossfit leg in triathlons now?! I'm confused. I'm screwed when those pullups come up. I'm amazed that you can do real pullups at all! That's insane! What's a kip by the way?