Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Shred 'em

Another title for this post could be:

"How to shred your arms in 20 minutes or less" or

"Ways to make your forearms completely inoperable"

First part of crossfit workout today was basic bench presses, just 5-5-5...considering I haven't bench pressed anything since, high school I didn't really know where to start weight wise. In the end, ended up with 52 lbs and focused on form. It was 'heavy enough'...but I prolly could have inched the weight up. Yet considering the next part, I just decided 'good enough' and moved on.

The next part of the workout called for 12 Push-presses (42lbs for me...65lbs for guys) and 10 kipping pullups. Then do as many rounds as possible in 20 minutes. My initial reaction to the 42lbs for the push press...

"Uh...these are kinda heavy...i can do a few but i'm sure this is going to be ugly over twenty minutes."

The instructor's response to my whinging: "I want you to do them heavy". Oye vey...

I got 7 full rounds in and an extra 7 push-presses done in 20 minutes. My forearms were shredded after the workout. It took a good 30 minutes to get them to stop spasming from hanging on the bar for the pull ups. The cool thing about the pull ups was that I realized I can graduate from the highest resistance band down to the next color as I'm doing pull ups pretty efficiently at the moment.

The other thing I learned today...I hate doing lunchtime workouts. I am more likely to skip those than any other workout...I know this, yet somehow convince myself that I will do it...sigh...missed another run today. It gets tough changing, running, showering and all of that with other constraints at work, trying to learn my lesson: don't schedule a lunch workout.... but I keep relearning this one for some reason.

7 comments:

mindy said...

I have a hard time doing workouts any other time than the morning. It tooks its toll on me during 1/2 IM training. Keep on shreddin'!

Benson said...

Oh yes, thank you for making me look bad. Your training sessions are great. Tuff, but great.

triguyjt said...

i'm whining about a balky knee and you are kicking butt in crossfit...
i feel like a girly - man!!

go get em tuffff one

Bob Almighty said...

Yeah Pants!
I'm suggesting a world's strongest triathlete competition between you and Sir Angry, preferably with Atlas Stones and a Bus pulling competition...but no seriously that crossfit stuff sounds like a good way to build strength and the core.

Also I plan on buying sleeping pills for the flight to Auckland, and I'll most likely be hitting the grocery store 1st or second day...any suggestions?

IronWaddler said...

Great job on the workout. I go to a class at lunch sometimes also. It is a challenge to get there but I am glad when I do.

Keep Shredding.

DV said...

cf rocks! strong stats

Sunshine said...

Hey!! Your good wishes worked!!