Sunday, February 10, 2008

I just moved here...

The other day I had to tell my landlord "No i don't want to extend my 6 month lease again"...I do have hopes in this market that I will be able to find a cute condo of my own...time will tell...but the exchanged echoed in my head for a bit, mainly because 6 months isn't really just in the 'just moved here', is it? Time is flying by!! The distance between me and the end of the whole grad school fiasco is really getting wider. Time heals all wounds...but I feel like I'm going to be waiting for a long time on that one.

This weekend...was a weekend of "where am I and what month is it?" Early Feb?? No way. Yes the weekend was spectacular. Yes I did feel a little guilty as I thought of all my New England/midwestern friends suffering through the cold and nasty snow. I did get out and enjoy it.

Sat was an interesting brick. Yoga and then running. 8 am yoga on Sat at my local Yoga studio is part ashtanga (power yoga) and part breathing stuff (pranyama)...at least with the typical guy. We had a sub and while she did do some breathing focus, most of it was ashtanga....which I love. The class got me thinking about strength especially in my arms and back as the class was reasonably rigorous. She would suggest extra vinyasa's between poses and as I was feeling pretty strong during the class so I took them all. I expected I'd be sore today or that by the end of class my arms would be shaking, but neither happened. Go crossfit! What is weird about strength for me is that I gain it in bouts. It's not linear. I know, I know...break it down, rest it up...and wha-la!! More strength. But I haven't really taken any rest this week so it is weird. Overall I am starting to feel some fitness building and it feels super good.

Now on to the run...it sucked. 4.5 miles that was supposed to be 6.5 of pure suckage. I was lathargic and crabby the whole time(someone suggested that I may be allergic to everything here and possibly having allergy issues). I was going to power through the last 2 miles, but as I neared my apt prior to the last 2 miles, the hip decided it wasn't happy and my psoas started to spasm and give me a side stitch. Typically if something is nagging, I will power through, but since I'm on 'injury alert' and actually seeing a PT at the moment, I decided that when my hip gets cranky, I must respect it. I am seeing some improvements so I think if I continue the stretching, and PT stuff I'll be better with time. Injuries suck.

I got a desired 20miles in on the bike today...soon here, I think I'm going to be riding with some groups in the area. I really hate riding alone, much more so than running alone.

Some good training this weekend. Pretty pleased.

6 comments:

Sunshine said...

Good training week: Good for You!

Speed Racer said...

Hooray for gains! Boo for crappy runs.

I am soooo jealous of your weather right now. It's -9 with wind chill today in Bean Town. Want a "chick on the couch"? Cheap?

Paul said...

You should really get out to the tri club ride on Saturday's. Riding alone does suck :). But at least the weather is good!!

Benson said...

Oh yeah, nice training and good job making gains.

Bob Almighty said...

1. I envy the weather you guys have out there...said the snowed in warrior.
2. I feel you on 6 months just flying by. It seems like it was just yesterday it was fall and I was just starting my Ironman Training and now the big day is almost here.
3. Enjoy the Joys you can find at Grad school while it lasts because soon enough will come the chore of paying off grad School.
4. Good works outs

Bullet said...

Reading the post, I half expected you to have had a great run following the yoga. Sorry the hip isn't too hip this days. Get better.