Saturday, February 16, 2008

Fifty...

I intensely pondered how many ways I could break 50 reps down into smaller portions on Friday at a crossfit workout called the "Filthy 50".

The work out of the day was prescribed like this:
50 Box Jumps
50 Jumping Pull Ups
50 Kettle Bell Swings
50 Walking Lunge Steps
50 Knees to Elbows
50 Push Press 33 lbs
50 Back Extensions or Supermans
50 Wall Ball/squats (8 lbs)
50 Burpees
50 Double Unders or 100 Jumping Jacks

So...fifty reps would get broken into smaller pieces at times like
25 and 25
12+13 and 12+13
10-10-10-10-10
10-15-15-10
10-10-15 and 15 (each 15 broken into 5-5-5)...this one was on the burpees. Yes, it was more like 5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5-5...but mentally I had to have little chunks of bigger pieces. I don't know if that makes any sense at all, but it did to me last night.

Still not box jumping on smaller 20" box (just doing step ups) mainly because it freaks me out and I'm more afraid of falling on the box and further injuring myself...cuz i'm good at injuring my self in stupid ways and falling does seem to be a talent of mine. I'll have enough power one day where that fear is gone.

One of the funny sets was, Knees to elbows...you hang on a bar and bring your knees up to your elbows. That hurt my arms more than I was able to engage my core although my core is pretty pathetic too. It was more of a pathetic attempt most of the time, although I do feel it a little bit in my upper abs this morning.

I left the gym with my arms shaking pretty close to uncontrollably, mainly due to the stupid burpees (or some people call them 'up-downs'), so I was slightly surprised to see that while I am sore today I'm not the kind of 'Can't get out of bed sore'...more 'oh...there's my gluteus medius' kind of sore. Although there is always that danger of DOM...delayed onset muscle soreness...so we shall see how I feel tomorrow.

Since I've graduated from my fundamentals class in crossfit , I have found the workout are intense, but I am also seeing that my endurance is carrying me a bit too and I am feeling like my general strength is my limiter. I am looking forward to when my endurance and strength intersect on some of these workouts where I don't have to do so many modifications, but it will come with time. It may be 6 months, it may be a year it may take a long time...but by being consistent, it will come.

My training this week has been less than steller mainly because I'm battle a half cold and a lot of exhaustion (exhaustion is mainly self induced, keep finding other things to do rather than go to bed on time). HIM training is going to start ramping in soon enough. I am feeling a bit better with the hip injury...but I will run at some point this weekend and see how that fairs under 4-6 miles of fun.

8 comments:

mindy said...

Glad to hear the hip is feeling better!! I'm totally intrigued by this crossfit thing - it looks pretty intense. What about the 50 breakdown of 1,1,1,1,1,...ok nevermind...

Paul said...

That cross fit stuff is some serious work. Good to hear the hip is doing better. I understand about going to bed on time..

Bullet said...

That sounds intense! May give it a shot, but the fear of falling off the box may get me as well

triguyjt said...

all i ever hear about cross fit is that its intense and tremendous for you...
good job...

IronWaddler said...

What a workout!

Hope the hip stays ok.

Keep up the good work

Speed Racer said...

Oh god! That crossfit workout makes me tired just LOOKING at it! Do you notice a difference in your other events? (Other than soreness) How would you design an experiment to quantify the answer to this question?

rocketpants said...

Claire: Watch my race times but most workouts are also timed. So I will see how my time improves on the 'Filthy fifty' when it comes up again.

Sunshine said...

Oh my, you are a mathematician, too!! What an interesting sharing!
.. An encouragement to jazz up my boring 'round and 'round.