Tuesday, January 08, 2008

More fun

Ohhhh another Crossfit excursion (2 Fundamental classes down...6 to go until I'm in the real deal of Crossfit with workouts of the day). So basically in these first 8 classes they teach you how to do everything properly. You practice proper form a lot and most people don't worry too much about the weight of stuff at the moment. So I got to learn how to deadlift properly (which is actually an incredibly useful and proper way to lift things in day to day.), shoulder press, and do a push-press. Our workout ended up being a 400y run, squats, deadlifts, and pushpresses (15-12-9). All in all...pretty good. Since I picked weights that were more on the 'manageable' side(read: I should have said "sign me up" when she asked if I wanted more weight for the deadlift)...i actually don't think I'm going to be sore. But lately I have been misjudging pretty much everything and everyone in my life, so if I can't get out of bed and walk tomorrow I wouldn't be that surprised. As for last week...I was hurting a few days there...but not too bad. So far i'm actually having fun and I'm doing weights so it is all good.

Sadly over the past week, my hip is starting to lock up again and the blissful running with out pain afterwards is coming to an end. It doesn't hurt as much as before...but I'm feeling it again. I have an apt with a PT next week set up. Hopefully he will set me all right as he did last time. He was a miracle worker.

All in all, doing well...having a little trouble getting into the pattern of early AM workouts. Working on that, but also fighting insomnia since i moved here...which you would think the two would work well together...but strangely don't. Frustrating.

4 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Insomnia is the WORST. I hope you get into a good sleep cycle soon.

I'm so impressed that you're enjoying weights. Pretty soon you'll be able to do 500 pullups with a 45lb plate hanging between your legs. When you can, I want to see the picture!

Angry Runner said...

Yesterday was going to be stretch and roll day for me, but I had the urge to lift something off the ground, so before I did my mobility work I went and did a whole mess of deadlifts...regular grip, sumo and snatch grip. After a bunch of those I went and did mobility work and felt wonderful. Yay for the posterior chain.

Using my extensive knowledge of the hip structure given to me by my Finance degree, maybe there's an imbalance in your hip driving the TPs? Maybe try some single leg work for a while and see if there is a noticable difference...

Paul said...

Crossfit is pretty cool. Not very traditional gym friendly, but that's OK. Enjoy it!

DV said...

welcome to the crossfit family! Get used to some weird looks at the gym... ;)

dv