Thursday, January 03, 2008

Eat.My.Words

So...I think i'm being all 'clever' in my last post and saying how to go about sticking with an exercise program. I got a little high and mighty there...this is how other people should do things...start with a commitment to one month and then move to two.... bla.bla.bla. And now I have to eat my words. I have to enroll in my own stinking program. Nice going.

I'm fine doing and sticking with copious amounts of cardio. I've gotten to a point where that is something I enjoy if not love at times. But that's it...I do cardio...I may do yoga 1x a week...and I'm done after that. Weight training? No...that is boring. But here's the problem, I know I need core strength...I know I need strength that is actually useful...but I.HATE.WEIGHTS. Whew...i said it...that was cathartic.

I had thought of hiring a trainer to help me, but he annoyed me even before I met the guy. He called me four times during the course of one day....hello...i'm working! That may have been why I 'fired' him...even before he had the chance to introduce me to boring old weights. Sorry buddy.

Recently reading Angry's blog he's been ranting about 'cross fit this' and cross fit that. My response to the bizarro workouts"cross-who-what"? Being the ever hoarder of information (I blame the scientist in me) I set to task to figure out what the heck he was talking about. All he made mention of was pullups, push ups...deadlifts. At first glance I thought...no way. But then I looked at their website there was mention of things like 'the rings', hand stands and box jumps...and the kid in me came out. You get to hang on stuff...and jump on things...at least it sounded like fun.

So...i've decided to take my own advice and give this thing a go. Actually before they allow you to go to classes you have to learn the proper technique for 8 sessions (at most 2x a week)...so I pretty much get 8 one-on-one sessions which comes to a month and then...they give you 2 free months after that for doing the 8 sessions!Oh wait...that means I commit to one month...and then I have two more months. Arg...my words are echoing in my head.

So tonight my first work out was supposed to be 3 sets of the following: Burpees, box jumps and kip-ups with reps of 21, 15, 9. Me lacking all kinds of strength and rather wimpy at times...the woman taking me through the crazy reps had to change them down to 15-12-9.

Me: what's a burpee?

Her: So...you sqat down, put your hands on the ground, jump back into a push-up position, do a push up, jump back to a sqat and then jump up. (Yes...i had to do girly push-ups.)

Box jumps: Let's just say my box jumps did not look like this guy's. I didn't have to jump so high either...nor was I having quite as much fun as him. In fact the box they gave me intimidated me enough that I was afraid I was going to just jump and fall on the thing. So she changed the jump to a step-up. (I do have to say this... the woman who is working with me is really nice and encouraging and they are completely willing to modify whatever so that you have proper form while you work towards getting the strength to do things).

And then kip-ups...a modified pull up...we had to modify it so much that I ended up standing on one of the box jump thingys and would 'swing' (to get the feeling), then jump on the up swing and push myself away. Yea...I felt like a dork.
I did not look at all like this lady:

I couldn't even do them with a rubber-band assist.

It was pretty much 14 minutes of torture. I thought it took me way longer than that. The trainer people said I had a great time for my first go at that. Sure...i bet you say that to everyone. It took my arms at least 20 minutes to stop shaking. I hope I can move them tomorrow.

So...one day...i will be able to do burpees without girly pushups...one day I will be able to actually jump on the stupid box for box jumps...one day I will be able to do both a kip up and 21 of them...in a row. One day...

5 comments:

Angry Runner said...

I like this. Oh yes i do.

Benson said...

This is great. YOU are great.
One day at a time x 30 = one month. You got it going on now.

Speed Racer said...

I've been meaning to try Crossfit since I heard "It's not uncommon for people to puke in their first session". (That was before I met Angry)

I try to get away with cardio strength work so I don't have to use weights (like intervals of great, big, huge gears on the bike, fly drills for core, and paddles for upper body. Then again, I CAN do a manly pushup.

IronWaddler said...

I feel the same way as you about cardio and weights. Keep up the good work.

Bob Almighty said...

Everybody's getting in on this crossfit thing, I now feel like the uncool kid on the playground getting beat up for my lunch money. ...but seriously I hear it definately strengthens the core.