Thursday, January 03, 2008

January 2nd

Ahhh...January 2nd...the day that so many people start their New Year's resolutions. And its that day at the gym where those of us who have been regular time members get crowded out of everything. I walked into my gym yesterday to see that every.single.cardio.machine was taken. Fortunately I was there for a spin class. Unfortunately I got stuck sitting next to Mr. sing-along-with-the-music...that was obnoxious. I was about to feign "this bike cleat doesn't work right"...and move, but I just dealt with his insanity. Getting a bike in spin class was a little harder than it had been, but the gym is supposed to get new bikes soon...i sorta am hoping they won't come in until Feb. so I don't have to fight with all the new year's resolution-ers. I know that is a mean thing to say.

Making a new years resolution of 'getting fit' or 'losing weight' is a good thing. In truth I feel bad for those that won't stick with it and I wish there was someway to encourage more people to get out and move...so I dreamed up with a new 'latest' fad of exercising. I call it the "one month resolution".

My new 'latest fad exercising regime' would look like this...have people commit to one month of exercise. If they are new to moving around...then they should only commit to 2 days a week x 20 mins. If they have been exercising off and on, but are having trouble sticking with it...3 days a week x 20 mins. Easy huh. After a month, the people get evaluated for how they are doing and sticking with the regime and then have them commit to two months. Some of the 2x a week-ers will go up to 3x a week and some of the 3x a week-ers will go up to 30 mins...depends on how they are doing...ect. By the end of these two months the new to exercisers will have finished up 3 months. And studies show that it takes a minimum of 6-12 weeks to make a new habit. At this point, depending on the client, they will commit to another 2-3 months...again their goals will be assessed as well as their ability to stick with the amount they are exercising.

It is a reasonable commitment, gets people moving, keeps people checking in with others, and will get people healthier. Only snag is that it won't deliver the high potential for rapid weight loss. Which in the long run, slow weight loss is the best way to keep weight off. But it is a little hard to sell to our instant gratification society.

"Here's a program. Almost guaranteed that in a year you would still be moving...you probably won't lose rapid weight...but you will lose it slowly and keep it off".

Sigh...not many people are willing to face the fact that the best way to lose weight and keep it off is to do so slowly.

On my own training note, running is going very well. The hip endured a 6 mile run on sunday. I even had an avg 10mpm pace...with a couple of 9-9:30 miles mixed in. WOOHOO. Hip didn't hurt afterwards...but I know something is still 'off'. While my hip didn't hurt during or after, i could feel a trigger point in my psoas tightening up. By the end of the run it felt like I had eaten a rock. Not really the best nutrition for us endurance athletes. Lots of minerals and all...but no carbs. I will have to see when I can get in to get some ART done again. I'm totally sold on it and my new insurance card came in the mail...so I can ditch the crappy insurance and get the PT I need. Yea.

3 comments:

Paul said...

Good news about the hip. Hopefully it stays good :)

triguyjt said...

i like that progressive..ladder like approach. but you know people. everyone wants to start moderate, but then after 3 days they want to do the Tour De France. No in between.
Good luck in 08..with the hip

IronWaddler said...

About the gym---my thoughts exactly. Ours even added valet parking (so you don't exhaust yourself before the workout)