Monday, January 14, 2008

Apparently I AM all things Massachuestts

First of all Big shout out to Angry Runner and Runner Leana for their stalla performances at the Disney Marathon extravaganza this weekend. Angry finishing his first marathon and Leana thought that hey...doing a half marathon the day before and running the marathon would be a good thing...and did the Goofy. You guys are Rockstars! Woohoo! As they would say in New England "Wicked awesome job".

Now one thing I should point out is I am not originally from Massachuestts. I grew up in Idaho. I went to undergrad in Washington state. I am a Western girl...some days I would say to.the.core. I heart the rocky mountains...those are actual mountains (ahem). Anyway, living in Massachusetts was a great experience, but aside from occasionally saying 'wicked' still...I don't tack an 'r' on the end of 'idea', I do say the 'r' in 'park', so I find it rather humous when people think that I am some sort of super-new englander.

Where am I going with this? Yesterday the Chargers won their play off game. Which means they are now playing the NE Patriots. Now you have to understand, I don't really own a TV, and I typically will only watch football to hang out with some friends...and at times during the games I have to remind myself to shut up...they do want to watch the game. To me the superbowl is the time when I can go to the grocery store and not have to wait in line (yes I do that) or go out for a run or bike ride and not have to deal with traffic. Last year I was flying back from a job interview when the game was going on and I couldn't have care less. A little sacrilegious coming from the fact I lived in MA for the past five years...but that's how I roll. (I don't even care for the commercials...gasp).

So I'm talking to my neighbors after the Chargers won...and they say to me "I guess we are playing YOU next week". Yes...apparently I AM the New England Patriots. News to me too. I kind of laughed and shook my head. I also realized that I still have my MA plates and maybe it would be best if I got those changed this week...

It was like this when the Red Sox were in the world series this year. I suddenly was the Red Sox representative. I think I watched a total of 10 Sox games on TV when I lived in MA (you have to understand I had never watched a full baseball game prior to the move...so 10 is a lot for me). Yes I know...I'm the anti-sports fan. I blame it on growing up in Idaho. There are no professional teams in Idaho so there is no one to follow except the local Universities. And it has only been in the last 10 years that that has gotten more on the big scene in university sports (Fiesta Bowl 2007...now that was craziness).

I'm not sure if I'm the best representative for all you MA-New Englanders. I don't have the accent nor do I watch any of the sports teams...but hey I still have my license...for a little while. I will have to transition here soon enough. sigh

5 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Well you've watched exactly 9 more (mowah) Sox games than me, I have NEVER (nevah) seen a Pats game, and am actually pissed (wicked pissed) that the Celtics are doing well since I have to go through North (Noath) Station every day. And I don't even have the accent either (eithuh), even though I grew up here (heyuh). But then a year (yeah) or (oah) two ago a Californian came up to me and goes, "You know, the Patriots didn't even start winning until AFTER September 11." (The tone of this conversation was that this phenomenon was my fault). So now not only is the Patriot Act infringing on civil liberties in the private sector, it also gives the green light for the Patriots to violate the constitution in the NFL. Professional sports are silly.

Here's an experiment for you. If the Pats changed their name to the New England Wooly Mittens, do you think that we would still win the Super Bowl?

mindy said...

This New Englander considers you an honorary New Englander!

IronWaddler said...

I am an ex-NewEnglander and have always loved the Patriots. Go NE.

triguyjt said...

hey rocketpants...just think how wack the world would be if everyone was a hardcore sportsfan. probably not good..and thats coming from someone who works in sports..

great to have some balance.good luck with that training...

Runner Leana said...

Thanks for the shout out Pants! It was definitely quite the racing experience. Let's just say I got my money's worth by spending oodles of time out on the marathon course on Sunday!