Thursday, February 19, 2009

Retest

The fun part about having a coach is that I get to try all kinds of new fun training/workouts. I've read the books and all that and looked at some online training plans and in the past I would put a semblance of a plan together for a season, but I'm not very imaginative or really have a clue what I'm doing when I put these things together so my workouts were pretty dull and boring and really not very focused. And when it came to SWIMMING...yawn. I probably skipped more swim workouts than I actually did during a season. Of the three disciplines, i'm not the biggest fan of swimming...but not for typical reasons of many triathetes. The water doesn't freak me out. I actually love being in the water, its just...i donno...i get sorta bored. But amazingly through MUCH more imaginative training sessions provided by my coach...I've been warming up to swimming and the training involved(ohhh and I discovered fins...THOSE are FUN)...a bit at a time. (THANKS COACH!)

Another thing that shows up every so often in my training plan that I would never do these things on my own...time trialing... to see my progress. Last time I did my swim time trial it bordered on 'fiasco' in the dark. I'd never done a time trial in a pool so I didn't really know what to expect. Basically a 10 x 100y as fast as possible with minimal rest between each. What I found was that my times for 10 x 100y were between 1:46 -1:52 per 100y. What was interesting was that after this point it took me awhile to see anywhere around 1:50 in my workouts until I had a breakthough workout back in January. So I was curious what would happen for this time trial...I was pleasantly surprised.

1) 1:39
2)1:46
3) 1:48
4) 1:46
5) 1:46
6)1:42
7) 1:45
8)1:45
9)1:43
10)1:41

YEAAAAAAA!!

Last time my fastest time was 1:46 and I only hit it once...this time I was hitting round that number pretty well most of the time. Seeing progress is really encouraging. Next up...run TT tomorrow and a Bike TT on saturday...should be interesting. :-)

3 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

Wow. Good time trial..

Speed Racer said...

See?! I told you! Didn't I tell you? I told you you were going to get faster after that day! I was right!

I used to do that time trial set: 10x100 w/10sr. By the end my head always felt like it was about to explode. I don't think I was ever able to be as consistent as you were. Great day!

FLATOUT JIM said...

That's a pretty decent time trial effort. You didn't die off near the end, and the last 5 were 1:45 or lower.

I usually start fast and die at the end. We also do a 10 minute time trial. Basically you see what distance you can cover in 10 minutes. We probably have one coming up soon. Can't wait.