Friday, January 16, 2009

Pretty close to perfect

Today was just an awesome day. Even before I got to the pool this evening, it was an awesome day. Internally I've just been hung up on a few things, struggling with others and then mix in some other stuff and I didn't really realize how much internal termoil I had induced upon myself, but I had. And today...i just somehow let it go. Someone made an offhand remark to me, I finally just relaxed a little and things in a lot of areas of my life just...clicked. It felt good. It's been the kind of day where people stopped me and asked me why I was smiling so much and I didn't have an answer for them aside from: It's Friday? When inside I was thinking...i don't know...i just can't stop smiling. But that was even before i got to the pool

Back in December I did a time trial in the pool to get an idea of what my threshold pace was...that time trial in the dark with the leaking roof? (it did make me laugh at the time). But the end result of that was that my average pace per 100y was around 1:50/100y. Nothing steller, but that was the end result. Although what I found in my swim workouts when I had workouts that said: do X amount of yardage at T-pace...i couldn't hold 1:50/100y for longer than 100y and generally not for very many 100s...like one or two in a set...so it was decided that if something said "T-pace" that I'd go off at 2:00/100y. Ok...cool...whatever...It didn't fuss me either way so that's what I did. So I get to today's workout and see 4x50's descending and then 4x300 at T-pace and then later 3x150 T-Pace...with more swimming stuck in between all of it...but that is the general gist of the workout. So I start and I come up with:
4x50s
  1. 0:52
  2. 0:50
  3. 0:48
  4. 0:46

hmmm...interesting. I'm pretty happy with those times and get into the main set of 300s. The first 300 I hold what I think should be my t-pace @ 2:00/100y. But I realize...i'm just feeling good. And I sorta think...hmmm...i wonder what might happen if I just push it? Just see what happens. Just go as fast as I can at what feels like threshold pace?

Then that little voice in my head crept in and said: but what if you blow up by the last 300? What if you get REALLY slow by the 150s...what if you really just muck up this workout because you go too HARD at the beginning??

I briefly considered the point. And hesitated for a second and then I thought: Well if I can't screw up a workout then what good IS a workout? SO WHAT if I start going slow. SO WHAT if I find myself at 2:05/100 for my last set. WHO CARES ANYWAY? Sure I wanted it to go well...but if I couldn't 'color outside the lines' a little bit i'd never find out where those lines were anyway. So I figured...just go for it. If i slow down over the course of the workout...at least i KNOW where I am...right? So I got to it...what MIGHT happen if I just WENT at what felt like threshold pace ...what might happen?

Basically...i threw down the workout.

After that first 300 where I was conservative at 2:00/100y the next 300s looked like this:
5:41(1:53/100)
5:36 (1:52/100)
5:33 (1:51/100)

Then I was into my 150s. That stupid voice came back in my head: well...ok...so you swam faster than what you thought you could hold...really...but i'm sure you might get tired on these 150s...you have to be tired by now? Right? I bet your time per 100y will slow down.

I think at this point I pretty much then said to that little voice: screw you

For the 3x150 they looked like this;
2:38 (1:45/100)
2:42 (1:48/100)
2:35(1:43/100)

I don't know what to say aside from: it was awesome. It felt awesome...it just felt so easy...It was an awesome way to end a pretty awesome day. Total breakthrough workout for me. I think i'm going to be smiling for days. :-)

8 comments:

Speed Racer said...

That's incredible, 'Pants! I love those days when everything just falls into place. Now that you know you can do it, your confidence will get a huge boost and I bet your times take a plunge (meaning get faster) in the next few weeks just because now you know you can.

I'm smiling right along with you!

Ryan said...

: ) way to go! so long voice of reason great way to start the weekend.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Totally awesome! I have a similar little voice in my head and I'm gonna say "back off" next time it pipes up!

Charisa said...

Awesome!! What a great day!

Sarah said...

YEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHH!

And THAT my friend, is how you GET IT DONE. You shut that voice down (we all have it, I think and I esp have it swimming) and you just GO FOR IT.

I am SO happy for you! Great job, girl!

Formulaic said...

Nice job out there. Way to shut the voice down and get it done.

Way to go!

katie b said...

yay, good for you :)

Sunshine said...

Awesome.. to name a perfect day!!
Good to know it when you experience it.