Thursday, February 26, 2009

I guess i'm tired?

odds and ends...

My final TT from last week was a bike TT...I am happy to say...i improved my speed by 1mphto 19.5mph for 30mins and did it at a lower heart rate than last time in pretty darn windy conditions. Note to self: Don't do a TT when people are wind surfing in the same vicinity as you are riding your bike!

Granted all this TT from last week made my back freak-out...in a major way. I had a 7ish mile run on Sunday planned and after 5 miles...no MAS. Usually these things ease up and loosen up with some time but I was in pain the whole time and just thought: this is stupid....so I stopped.

Went to a massage therapist on Monday because my back was bothering me and I have concluded I think i'm the only person in the world who probably hates massages because they hurt so much. I hate those pictures of people looking all relaxed and happy when they are getting






(see this lady looks sooooooo relaxed. Maybe this place where this picture is from gives really good massages or something. )
a massage...for me I have to focus and relax into the pain. Then the lady tells me: you are too hard on your body you need to not be so stressed out. Yea...good luck with that one lady.



I think i'm broken...

Had a great run on Wed where I increased the pace incrementally over each mile and i really enjoyed it...granted the last few miles my right hamstring started to sorta pitch a fit and not be too happy. But i ignored it...stretched a lot when I got home...but was still feeling it today.

Had another 7ish mile run on the books today and headed out during lunch to get it done. Zone 2 and 3...nothing really special....but I kept looking at my HR...and started to wonder: am I broken or is my HRM? My HR was reading in the low 100s. Actually for awhile...I was seeing between 70-90bpm. Uh...what? Granted I wasn't going terribly fast...AND I was going down a hill, but i've run this course so many times I knew something wasn't right.

So I tested the HRM...run faster....yep HR will pick up...but then rapidly would bottom out. I wasn't going very fast mainly because of the hamstring, but the HR's I was seeing were so low you would think I was walking. My avg HR was a mere 118bpm for a pace that was only 1 minute per mile slower than I did last week...with an avg HR of 154bpm.

Verdict from my coach ...i'm not broken, but probably need to ease up a little bit...i might on the slightly over trained side. So sadly no track tonight...but as I sit here and type this...I guess I am a little tired, so I'll go to bed on the earlier side tonight...take it easy for a swim tomorrow because....

SATURDAY I AM DOING A BIKE RACE!!!!!!!!!AKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Little mortified about that...but I think it's scarier in my head.

6 comments:

Sunshine said...

Well, good luck with the bike race. For you it will be more enjoyable than a massage?!
Good luck!

FLATOUT JIM said...

My back still bugs me from time to time. A symptom of winter in the North Atlantic. I consider it my Stretching and Core alarm clock. If I keep doing Core and Stretching, I feel ok.

I notice the same thing with my HR monitor from time to time. There is one section of road I ride where there are some communication towers. I always lose the signal when I ride past there. I never put it together until last year.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

So sorry to hear of the pains...that sucks. Rest sounds like the ticket. You can join me in my drug-induced haze lazing around watching tv 24/7

Charisa said...

I agree, massages do hurt! Hope the bike race was fun - was it Pendleton?

Speed Racer said...

OMG, how'd the bike race go?!?! I want to hear all about it!

Sometimes my HRM freaks out for no reason whatsoever. It'll say that my heartrate's in the 230's (meaning, I'm about to die), or the 30's (meaning I'm really about to die). No apparent reason, normal training grounds, normal training conditions. Whether the problem is your heart or the monitor, I'm sure they'll both recover.

So how did the bike race go?

Bike race?

Didn't you do a bike race yesterday?

Angry Runner said...

HR Training is useless. We've had this discussion.