Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tire advice...please?

I need some advice with getting new tires. Please chime in. I currently have some Vittoria Rubbinos on my bike. I heart them. Rarely a flat. They need to be replaced though as they are at the end of their life and I basically thought I should replace them with the same tire. Here's the thing...for me getting that last little bit of the bead back on the tire is a PAIN. I've bruised my thumbs. I've given myself a blister. And I've only had to change these suckers 3 or 4 times, but I dread having to get them back on in a time situation. So....here is the question.

Are the folding tires (or 'pro' tires) really any easier to get back on that little last bit? I don't want the folding tires if I need to go to a higher TPI because I like the security of a thicker tire, so I'm perfectly happy with a 60 TPI tires (hence i'm not even sure if I can get a folding tire in that thick of a tire...i'm still researching).

Here's a random side puzzlement of mine. As I was looking through vittoria tires, one line of them says 'aramide' tires. Yet others say 'Kevlar' tires. This is my thought:

Dude...Kevlar is an 'aramide'

Do they say 'aramid' just so they don't have to pay royalties of using the Kevlar on the cheaper tires? (this isn't really a question...more a musing from my geeky nature...unless you know if the 'aramid' tires are really meta-aramides and not para-aramids like Kevlar...or if there really is a material property difference between the two. Don't worry, i'm just rambling and not really looking for a true answer unless you know the answer. :-))

7 comments:

IronWaddler said...

I have no clue but I am anxious to hear any info. I need new tires also.

Speed Racer said...

I know absolutely, positively nothing about tires, except that they're a pain to change (I just replaced mine yesterday). But if you heart your current tires and you're afraid about changing them in a race situation you could buy a pair of racing tires as well. They're faster and easier to get on and off, plus they look cooler for the intimidation factor at races. Beyond that, I have no suggestions. Have you asked the geeks at the store?

Sarah said...

Wow. I just learned a whole lot more about tires than I ever knew. What is TPI, anyway?

Basically...I go with the Continental Grand Prix 4000. They are, very similar to your Vittorias, incredibly difficult to get back on and I curse my unlucky stars when I am unfortunate enough to have a flat (also similarly, I rarely get flats with them).

So...I'd never even heard of folding tires. I guess I figure if I get a flat in a race that's pretty much it anyway, so what does it matter at that point if it takes me 2 minutes or 4 minutes? That's just me.

I'm curious to know what you find out, though. I love gleaning knowledge from other people's investigations. :)

triguyjt said...

i suggest you go with the ones that are round.......

but thats just me.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

JT is on to something with that round idea. However, I just went with Speecialized All Weather Armadillo Elite. I was using the SWorks and loved them, but I needed something to help on slick roads (Columbia last year was hell). Give these a tri!!

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqProduct.jsp?spid=35389

Angry Runner said...

Gatorskins. Hellz yes.

StephenB said...

Continental Grand Prix 4000 (foldable). Replace them every season. To learn fast repair - develop gorilla hand strength by working in a bike shop, or learn to use tire levers.