Wednesday, March 05, 2008

Out sick

So I have been feeling a little tired in the past few days, my swim on monday was more of a 'try not to sink' sort of effort. Getting up in the morning for monday's crossfit workout didn't happen and when tying my shoes so I could go to the Tuesday night tri club run made me want to take a nap, I knew something was up. I attributed it not getting enough sleep or more training...or whatever. But in the last few days I have had a sore throat too. So yesterday I decided to go to bed at 8:30 or 9 ( as i've been getting up at 5AM most days) and see if that would help...I figured between 8-9 hours of sleep might sort this out. But in the end I skipped my AM crossfit workout workout just so I could get an extra hour of sleep. But even after getting almost 10 hours I still felt EXHAUSTED.

Somehow I convinced myself I would feel better as the morning wore on and dragged my sorry self off to work. After finding reading my email a mental drain, I decided in the end to go home. I wasn't going to accomplish anything today as tired as I was...and even though I hadn't spiked a temp in the AM...i was starting to feel warmish.

I didn't know if it was allergies (but claritin hasn't help the situation) and my energy took a HUGE dive in the last 24 hours. So I did go see a doctor as I didn't know if it would be strep throat, the flu, allergies, mono... or some strange disease. (i have an overactive imagination). Went to the doctor...and she ruled out strep (on the 5 minute culture), the flu or another strange disease. Probably just an upper respiratory infection...i have a cold.

I came home and slept for 3 hours. I still feel exhausted and we shall see how tomorrow goes. I have to admit I'm a little frustrated as this was supposed to be week 1 of my dedicated HIM training and I have to just hang out until I feel like I have enough energy to tie my shoes again. I am hoping that this is a cold and not allergies because at least with a cold I will get better...allergies I would just have to battle and allergy meds are not helping.

I did discover a fast way to make chicken soup:
Chicken broth (minimum 64 oz, use the low sodium that is even salty to me)
Pre-cut carrots
3/4 bag of egg noodles
celery 3-4 stems
pre-cooked rotisserie chicken from the deli at a grocery store

Use about half of the chicken and dump everything together. Add some 'multi' seasoning like 21 seasons from Trader Joe's and in less than 15 minutes you have chicken soup! Cook to a boil...turn down to a simmer...and all is well.

Alright off to rest up.

8 comments:

Paul said...

Rest up and get better soon!

Bullet said...

Sorry to hear you're under the weather. Make sure you rest plenty!

Runner Leana said...

Uh oh, you have it too! I hope you start to feel better soon. It is amazing how good chicken soup tastes when you aren't feeling well.

IronWaddler said...

Hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Sunshine said...

Soup looks good & easy.
Onions, sage and black pepper are good additions, too.

So difficult to be sick when your spirit is out there wanting to run. Best wishes for speedy wellness.

Speed Racer said...

Nooooooooo! Being sick SUCKS! I'm sorry. I hope you feel better soon and that it never, ever comes back. Rest up like it's your job, and feel better.

Thanks for the chicken soup recipe, by the way. Does it work with tofurky?

Benson said...

Yuck on the sicky poo feeling. Sleep is the best thing. I hope you're getting better.
Yummy on the chick soup recipe. I heart chick soup.

Sunshine said...

Thanks for your comments. Yes, it is comforting to have Dr. Lacy, Mayo Clinic, treating Don.

Take care and be well, yourself!!