Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Not again!

This post was supposed to be about how the overhead squats I did at crossfit on monday made me feel like a wimp. All I could do was a 33lb bar. Women were supposed to do 95lbs, men 115...hahahahaha. Nice try. It is even harder to do overhead squats in running shoes as you very easily roll forward when coming back up, but we had no choice as the workout of the day, 'Nancy', called for running and overhead squats.

Overhead squat (my 33lb bar) 5-5-5...and then onto:

'Nancy':
Run 400m
15 Overhead squats.
Repeat 5 times for time.

Or this post was supposed to be about how I took my car in today because I thought the breaks were squeaking and I needed an oil change, only to discover that I had a RAT'S nest on my air filter. No...the air filter didn't look like a rat's nest there WAS a rats nest on the air filter. Can we say ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww. Not much I can do about it though as I park on a street and don't have a garage. The lady at the car fixer place said I should 'whack' my hood every time I got in the car. There's a splendid way to fix it. Had no idea San Diego had so many rats. Gross. No problem with the breaks, but I had a billion other little problems that were either broken or about to go and and if they did fail...it would be catastrophic failure with me stuck on the side of the road. Lots o cash later...fixed car. I was about to whine about this when I was driving home when I realized I had made a 'deal' with my car not to give out on me in a major way in grad school (as I was poor) and wait til I had a job. I guess it is taking me up on that. Stupid car.

But NO....this post is actually about how I am sick AGAIN! This time I think it is truly the flu. 100.9 temp, muscle aches, sore throat, malaise, skin that is sensitive to the touch. It all happened VERY rapidly this afternoon and after trying to sleep for 3 hours after work...and only feeling each and every horrible symptom take their residence in my body...i called in sick for tomorrow. Sigh. I am so unhappy about this situation, I cannot express it coherently. It freaks me out with training for my HIM and the number of days I am going to miss and the days I have to dial back. Better to get fully better before training again, but now I am starting to have minor concerns about if I will be prepared for Vineman. I know it is something like 15 weeks away, but still that's not a ton of time. Will rehaul the training and evaluate as time goes on. Lame.

7 comments:

Bullet said...

OMG! First of all, I'm sorry you are sick, but RATS! That's crazy! Get well soon. Eat well and rest. it's the only way.

Speed Racer said...

Sick AGAIN?! Well hopefully this is the last exotic San Diego disease you're not resistant to, and after this it'll be smooth sailing.

If you're worried about the HIM, you should tone down the crossfit and make sure your body will be able to handle the distance, especially on the bike (remember, that half-marathon doesn't stand alone, so the stronger you are on the bike, the stronger you'll be in the whole race). The anaerobic stuff, like intervals and weights, will just fine-tune, which is fine for the off-season, but you've got bigger fish to fry now. But feel free to ignore me, you know your body and your own limits. I'm sure you'll make the right decisions.

And most of all, STAY HEALTHY!!!

J said...

A RAT'S NEST??? I didn't know that rats had nests! I thought they had DENS or something like that!!

You gotta do something about this getting sick all the time.
seriously. We need to chat about your overall life and diet and nutrition and what you are not doing.

Other than that, when are you visiting EAST again? Hmmmm???

Sarah said...

Girl!!! I am so sorry to hear you're sick again. :( That really really REALLY sucks and I understand the frustration. I've been there before.

Without wanting to sound like a lecturer...I kind of agree with Speed Racer...probably time to drop the Cross Fit for a bit. Or at least...minimzie your involvement.

It sounds like your body is really not able to fight off nasty stuff right now, which could definitely signify overtraining. When this happeend to me, I was just killing myself all the time.

You'll be JUST FINE for Vineman, TRUST ME. It's 4 months away and I think if you can perhaps re-evaluate what your training goals are, how you're approaching your training and maybe be willing to change some things...you'll pull it off no problem.

But definitely give yourself time to heal, and maybe don't do Crossfit so soon after you get over this flu. I have NOTHING against Crossfit, by the way. I think it's AMAZING. I just don't know that it integrates too well into the Build phases of triathlon training.

I hope you start to feel better really soon. Sorry about the car, too. That is SO GROSS. A rat's nest? Ewwww. :-P

At least you didn't have to find out about it by smelling the stench of dead rats who got caught in there or anything...

Angry Runner said...

Crossfit will make you a better athlete. Train muscles, not energy systems.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

What kind of car do you have that has enough room in the air filter for a rats nest? Is it an older model?

Sunshine said...

We had mice inside the air intake a few years back and installed some heavy steel screen to keep the creatures out. Eww!

We don't know what overhead squats are....

So sorry to hear about the flu.
We are getting obsessive about hand washing, eating anti-oxidant fruit and taking vitamins.
So much hoping this will be the end of sick and the beginning of wellness for you.