Sunday, March 09, 2008

Feeling better

So I've been pretty wiped out the past few days after getting sick on Tuesday. The main problem with this cold hasn't been that I sond ike dis and have to blow my nose constantly, it has been more that energy wise I have been wiped out. I tend to be a fairly energetic person and on a scale of 1-10 with 1 being little energy and 10 being bouncing off the wall...I typically am between a 7-9 on most days. This cold has put me more in the range of -5 to -6 on the energy scale.

I was out from work on Wednesday and Thursday. By Friday I was feeling a little better and even had high hopes of getting in a quick workout that evening. But by the end of the day my energy had really sagged and I ended up being low key and catching a movie with some friends. Saturday I really, really, REALLY wanted to get at least a 20 mile bike ride in, but I still wasn't even hitting a 1 on the energy scale. I took a quick 'power walk' down the street to grab some coffee and when I came back and felt like I needed a nap I accepted the fact that another day of rest really wouldn't kill my HIM training this far out even though my head was screaming that I needed to get some training done. I finally rationalized that if anything another day off would probably help me get better faster. So...I accepted it and took another day off. I wasn't happy about it though.

This morning when I woke up I could tell I was back in the positive numbers on the energy scale. I had a 6.5 mile run slated in my training plan, but I decided that even if I could only get 4.5 miles that would still be golden. The upper respiratory infection didn't aid the whole breathing and lower heart rate, but it didn't kill me too much either. I tried not to look at my watch too much as I realized I was probably going to be running backwards in time if anything so it was somewhat futile to worry too much about my time. It felt good to be out running and it was a pretty warm afternoon. After last week's debacle where my sock decided to eat the back of my ankle and stop my run, I was armed with band-aids and ready for most anything.

The did the whole 6.5 mile run and it actually felt pretty good. I even tried out a new running skort...which the fiasco of buying the stupid thing is worthy of another post...so maybe for another day...over all I did like the skort so that was a bonus. I'm encouraged that even after this cold that has totally sapped all my energy, and taken me out for a bit, I have a feeling that I will bounce back pretty well and I hope to hit the training pretty hard once I fully recover. I have tweaked this next week so that hopefully I don't totally kill myself with the training and relapse, but it still will be a good full week. I'm happy to be feeling much more energetic, that's for sure.

7 comments:

Paul said...

def don't over do it!

Sunshine said...

So hard to wait to get over a cold.
Glad you are on the way!!
Wishing you a good good week.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

I have been feeling the less than energetic lately myself. However, I get this way in March most years. I think it has to do with wanting it to warm up and its still cold.

mindy said...

Take care of yourself rocketpants - best to get the cold done with now before the big training weeks come up - you will fend this cold off and be super strong for your HIM training! I'm jealous you can run outside in a skort! We are expecting another snow shower here...

mindy said...

p.s. I tagged you - hope you don't mind!

IronWaddler said...

Glad you are feeling better. Better to rest now and get back in the training strong.

Runner Leana said...

Glad to hear you are feeling better and got your 6.5 miles in. I'm all about running skirts. I can't wait to hear about your fiasco!