Saturday, September 02, 2006

fun with running

It's been fun...running...that is. This week has been interesting between finding out I can run a single mile in 7:24 and doing my first hill run repeat...ever. Today was a long run and again, I looked forward to it. :-)

OK so this whole rain-Earnesto storm still hasn't showed up and it's 3 in the afternoon as I write this, but it was supposed to be here much earlier..so I got up much earlier than i'd like for a Saturday, just so I could try to dodge the storm. (I think I need a nap now)

Today was my 8 mile long run. It consisted of a 1 mile warm up, then for 6 miles run...run...run then 1 mile cool down. Just like last week. With sore quads from this week between mile timing, biking, hill running and biking I didn't know how they would hold up for the middle 6 miles where I was to keep my HR around 160ish and just run. My hope/goal was to match close to how long it took me to run those 6 miles last week which was 60:30 with an avg HR 162.

The warmup mile went well, after few false starts...but finally got going. The first half, 3 miles, seemed fine, got to my turn around and noticed that I was close to the same time as last week at 29:43. Things look good. Second half...going well. At the five mile mark I look down and realize that I'm sub 50mins...somewhere around 48 mins. Huh? Little bit of a surprise on that one as I was expecting 10ish min/miles. The last mile I realize that it actually is a moderately hilly mile. Nothing I'd do 'hills' on, but not a pancake. I get to the end of the fast running part and I stop the watch and it reads: 59:41 with an avg HR of 159. Faster time with lower HR than last week...I'll take that thank you very much.

On the docket for this week: another fun day at the track, hills, and 10 miles...along with some yoga, biking, and the pool will re-open this week. Looks like a good week.

1 comment:

Joe B said...

It is amazing what we can do when we beleive we can.