Monday, September 11, 2006

Mark it done

So saturday I had a case of the "pizza was a bad choice for dinner on friday" and felt ill all Saturday. I was slightly worried that the run would not get pulled off the next day ...but all was not lost on Sunday. I got up early, and was on the ground running by 630, not bad for a weekend. The weather was absolutely perfect for running. Mildly chilly the first half mile, and then just perfect for the rest of the run.

The plan was two miles of warm up, run 6 at high effort, two miles of cool down. Warm up went as planned, had a 10 year old girl join my run for a bit. She should keep with it...although I should have mentioned that running in jeans isn't exactly the best way to do it. She looked like she was having fun.

Then the 6 miles...goal as usual keep my HR up...above 160...and just run. The first 3 miles flew by, mile 4 completely disappeared...i sware I was so surpised to hit mile 5 and so quickly! I was in a zone...and was still running at a good clip. I was running 9ish miles from what I could tell. I was pretty excited about that. Mile 5 went really slow though. Not time wise running, but time seemed to stand still. It was a little surreal. I would think I was running really slow, but then I realized that very little time had passed and I was doing fine. I had that happen to me in the 1/2 marathon last year at mile 9. Although last year it was an issue of losing focus and slowing down, and this time it was more an issue of time just suddenly not moving. Weird

It went well with a final time for the 6 miles being 55:21, avg HR 162. Improvement from last week as the six miles had a time of 59:41 avg HR 159. Nice.

The rest of the day sorta seemed to go down hill for me though. Somedays you can only have one thing at a time go well. At least it was the running. Ended up breaking a string on my violin at church (and had 4 other extra strings, but not the right one), spilled coffee and food on myself, jabbed a stick into my foot, and locked myself out of the house. It got to the point where I just had to laugh otherwise I was going to cry. Although it was kinda funny...and true of me, slightly scatterbrained and clumsy.

Today was swimming and yoga. WHY in the world I couldn't drag my sorry butt to the pool this morning so I could do a pre-work swim...i don't know. Therefore I then required a lunch time swim. Sometimes that's obnoxious to me, but I am greatful that the pool is right across the street from my building. So I guess I shouldn't complain. It went well aside from my shoulder now hurting, very weirdly.

As for yoga, some days I love yoga, and some days I hate it. As in get-me-out-of-this-stupid-pose-before-I-kill-you-you-pschyo-yoga-teacher...kind of hate. Today was an I-LOVE-YOGA day. I don't know why, everything was stiff from running and usually that then makes a pretty painful class, but I felt strong and the stiffness didn't bother me for some reason.

Tomorrow track workout: 4x800s again...each set to be under 3:40. Hmmm...i'm interested to see how that goes. This type of training is so new to me that sometimes I just think..."how does one do that?" Looking at my times, I know, physically I can do it...but it's that mental aspect of how does one mentally tell one's body:

"OK we are now going to run 3:40 or less for an 800...you got that?".

It's just weird. Do I just think 'fast thoughts' and my body will run as fast as it should? I'm learning as I go, so I'm interested to see how I'm going to pull this one off and how I end up thinking about it. At the moment, i'm just visualizing fast times, and hoping that helps somehow. The whole mind-body connection with athletics is so strange, but truly fascinating. Planning for it to be fast as it should be...it's got to be...I don't think I have another choice :-)

No comments: