Saturday, November 15, 2008

Do a what?

First off...odd things happen to me sometimes...I know San Diego can be the magnet for lots of people to flock to, but to be having lunch outside at a cafe and see one of my roommates from my Sophomore year in college walking down the street? When I didn't know she lived here? When we went to school near Seattle, WA?? And I haven't seen her since 2001? I went to a small school, but this is the second time in San Diego that I have run into someone from my 3000 people undergrad that I knew. Very weird.

And again...what month is it here? I get confused most days. The past few days have been a little on the toasty side so when my friends brought up doing the tri club's monthly club race this week it was something I considered...but only if they were coming. It was a sprint distance ~800m swim, 12 mile bike and 4 mile run.

This morning when I woke up I was worried I wasn't going to make it. Yesterday my stomach had been bothering me and today didn't seem any better. I'd feel ok one minute and the next I wasn't so sure about it. I'd texted my friend and told him that I didn't know if I would actually race, i'd show up...but i was feeling pretty icky this morning.

I finally talked myself into at least swimming and see how I felt (granted that could turn your stomach on its own...the water in Mission Bay is disgusting). I felt decent through the swim and hopped on my bike and just decided to make a go of the day. I'm glad I did. I had a good day. The bike proved yet again that my bike split from Oct wasn't a fluke and it was actually probably true. Riding the track has dramatically improved my bike speed...as in a 3mph improvement in speed since May. (And I have not been doing much of much on my bike all summer either. ) This is why I am hooked on the track. (that and it is fun)

The run was pretty uneventful. In sprint races I don't give much thought to 'pacing'...just go hard. The first 2 mile loop was ok for most of it, but then my sour stomach decided to remind me that maybe i should take it a little easier. I came close to meeting my breakfast at one point. One the last lap I thought I was closer to the finish and made a push to pass a woman who was in front of me only to realize I had a lot further to go...and then I didn't have much to push with. Sadly she picked me off as I lost some steam. Maybe if I had played that a little better I would have done better, but no matter. Live and learn. That's part of it.

Overall I was happy with the race. I'm glad my stomach behaved and I had a great morning.

7 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Rub it in! "Oh, I'm Rocketpants. I have SUCH great weather, and I live in a beautiful place, AND I can ride through the winter if I chose to, but I can even ride on a track, which is even better. And I'm getting SO MUCH FASTER while you're all getting slower. My life is sooooo great! I heart polymers!" Yeah, well I stick my tongue out at you and blow.

My sophomore year in college Meg, Megan and I went for a drive, got lost, and wound up in LA (long story). We went to see Brita (who you also met) at UCLA, and I was walking out of the bathroom and found myself face to face with a girl that went to my 1,000 person high school (she was a grade below me). I was surprised, but she was "under the influence" and started screaming bloody murder. Running into people is weird.

The Lazy Triathlete said...

That sounds like a great weekend!!

Charisa said...

Great race - congrats! This weather is great, but it does NOT feel like fall :)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Way to tackle the race and finish even with your uncooperative tummy...hope you feel better soon!

katie b said...

you're such a rockstar. glad you had fun and that i helped talk you into doing the race - i'm such a good friend ;)

Runner Leana said...

Glad to hear the work on the track is paying off! Congratulations on your race!

Sarah said...

Wow, that is SO awesome to hear about the track bike. Wow. Now I REALLY wish I had a place near here!

Congrats!!