Sunday, November 16, 2008

Just because you *think* you can

Ugh...ever have those moments when you think: Sure I can do *that*...my body feels fine...i'm fine...and then you go to do them and your body says: what are you thinking my friend? That was today for me.

I got down to the velodrome and was very excited to get back on my track bike. Last week my neck was bothering me but I got another spacer put on the stem and it seems to have helped a bit. So as I am headed down to the track initially i don't see anyone on it...which made me concerned that I'll just be by my lonesome and that wouldn't be as much fun. You never know how many people might actually show. Last week the weather was terrible, cold, blustery, looking like rain but something like 8 people showed up. This week was hot and beautiful and as I walked over I didn't know if anyone was actually going to show up. Fortunately there were two other guys from my class and a third who wanted to join in our fun.

We warmed up, my legs felt pretty stiff...very quickly I realized that a lot of times on my road bike I stretch my legs while I coast...but...uh...no.can.do...on a track bike...one must keep pedaling or get catapulted off the bike...so I had to pull off and stretch the legs out. My legs were making some noises about being tired or something. I stretched them and promptly ignored them. Then me and the two guys from my class started doing flying 200 sprints. You have to understand...these are the two fastest guys in the class and i was...uh...one of the slowest in the class. Besides my legs were quickly telling me that just because I think I can go and do some sprints...they were telling me another story. My legs kept whining about the fact I had done a tri the previous day...and I should be doing something less intense (ok i know this...but I so wanted to be on the track...so I just said 'deal with it!'). So I did a few sprints and then headed in for a bit.

I got back on and rode around for a bit...and in the end we did a lot of pace line practice at a good clip so that I could still have fun on the track with all of them and not die...or have my legs fall off in bits and pieces. All in all...good fun. I heart my shiny new track bike.

5 comments:

katie b said...

sounds like a good day at the track :) i heart your new track bike too, its very pretty!

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Crazy girl...but I love you for it. Way to dive in there. Hope your legs are forgiving you today.

I did a run late Saturday night and bike EARLY Sunday morning and then got on my horse and my legs were gently asking me "are you certifiably insane?" I answered: yes - with a smile.

Bob Almighty said...

I want your weather...as they are predicting things to get really artic this weekend in New England. Also looking at Arizona I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to pull this off general entry which now means I might have to race for the kiddos by entering the community fund in Jan.

Would you be willing to take in a roomate this winter I'll help with the heating bill you know when the temp dips into the 50's?

Angry Runner said...

I'll bet your legs will be jacked diesel after a few months of being a trackie. I'd heart to see that.

Sarah said...

angry runner is right...you are turning into SUCH A STUDETTE!!! DAMN!! I am so jealous (in a good way) and HAPPY FOR YOU about this track thing.

I was just talking with a friend this morning about your track experiences b/c we were talking about fixed gear bikes. I still admire you for jumping into this. Keep it up!