Thursday, November 13, 2008

Not feelin it

I don't want to. I'm hungry. It's the off season. What's one more day? Bla. I don't wanna. Who cares?

And a myriad of other excuses floated through my head today as I drove towards the pool. I have done not much of anything this week and while the weekend was full of fun and bikes, and birthday fun...i just have been bla about much of anything off season related. I know I need to get back into a pattern of doing something but today I really just didn't want to. No good excuse. (when is there a good excuse?) So I bargained...do 500m of the 1500m swim planned and if after 500 you want out...then get out.

100 meters into the swim I was chastising myself for the stumbling block I had created for myself with not wanting to go to the pool. I was happy. Sooooo happy I even made myself do two sets of 5 x 50s on a minute, where I go all out for a 50 and then have whatever is left of a minute to rest until the next 50. I typically sprint a 50 around 45s to 50s so it's not much rest and by the last 50 i have to focus pretty hard on keeping any semblance of form.

But right before my second set of 5 x 50s I had an out. I was being booted out of my lane by the swimming teacher who needed my lane. So I hopped out of the pool and blankly contemplated ditching the last 5 x 50s and my cool down. I mean I had an excuse at that point. AND I was going to have to make some people circle swim which I wasn't sure they would be that excited about. And then...the most unlikely candidate (in my book) to volunteer to make their lane circle swim starting making his lap lane partner circle swim. Yes the 17 year old teenager made his friend start circle swimming so I could join in. I hadn't even asked. When a 17 year old boy sees that this woman has been forced out of her lane and is standing trying to figure out what to do...and takes the initiative to volunteer his lane...that kid has some great manners. And really at that point I had no excuse not to finish. So finish I did and I was so happy I had done it.

7 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Hooray for kids with manners. If it had been me I would have let you rot there on the deck.

I have justified not doing an evening workout before because I ACTUALLY convinced myself that I WOULD starve to death because I had only eaten HALF of my afternoon snack. Enjoy the off season, when any excuse is a good excuse!

katie b said...

you're such an over acheiver, roo. you should rest while you can, CB's gonna have it in for you soon enough ;)

on the other hand, you are getting a head start and that's a good thing. don't listen to me, rest is the devil ;)

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Way to trick yourself into a great workout! I've done that with running...telling myself "oh, just go an easy mile" but inevitably my body says "yeah! keep going!"

Isn't the the mind/body thing funny?

Kudos to the 17 year old...I have 40 year olds at my pool who aren't that polite.

Brian Gunn said...

I'm totally with you on not being motivated! I need to get a workout schedule going real soon now before I lose all my fitness!

Steve Stenzel said...

Wow, what a kid!

Just a thought... how *good* do you look in your suit? 17 year old boys have one thing on their mind.... You say "manners," I say "horny."

;)

Seriously though, nice swim! Way to get it done!

Runner Leana said...

Aw, that was really nice of that kid! Glad you got a good swim workout in!

Charisa said...

Enjoy the off-season. It goes by really fast :) (I'm with Steve on this one - nice boy & I'm sure he was enjoying cute YOU as well!)