Thursday, June 25, 2009

367 days...

It was a normal Tuesday. Nothing special about it. I was checking my email and reading some blogs and happened to find myself blog stocking someone's blog who had just finished IMCDA. I looked at my watch and realized that it was more than 24 hours since the Ironman Coeur d' Alene 2010 slots had opened. And for whatever reason I found myself on the website looking through the finishers and eventually looked at the sign up page for the event because I thought: There would be NO way it would still be open? hahaha...NOT that I would sign up for it...errr


I thought that m-dot races usually sold out in MINUTES...so i thought that it was very odd that at 9pm on a Tuesday 36 hours after registration was opened up that it should still be open. (FYI, I’m writing this on Thursday and they are STILL open) I thought it might be a glitch with Active. But.... it's not. After an hour or so of thinking about it...i realized i have actually thought about doing IMCDA for years because if I were to do an Ironman, Idaho is my home. So somehow that makes more ‘sense’ IF I was going to do an ironman...this would be the one. Granted NOTHING...nothing...about an Ironman is logical…so I’m kidding myself trying imply i had a 'logical' reason for chosing this event.


Right then I wanted to just go to bed and just not sign up...but after an hour of deliberation i knew i would be disappointed if I let it go. A few months ago in the middle of my current training for Vineman 70.3, I had a conversation with someone who said: you have to at least do one ironman for the experience. And i got to thinking….And thinking. And back in April i had very seriously toyed with making sure that I had my finger on the computer when registration opened on June 22nd...but then I got overtrained...and then I thought triathlons were silly...


My plan was to start racing at the velodrome after July. Actually…its still IS my plan and something I WILL do. Although, I think there was a point I even contemplated stopping a lot of this endurance silliness. And even considered never being a triathlete again. really. ever. (granted I like to be a drama queen in my head, so I don’t think I would have actually ever done that) I had plans to be a roadie and velodrome girl and life would be good. So somehow i sorta thought that maybe it was 'meant to be' if it was still open 36 hours after registration opened. We MUST be in a recession.


WTF did I just do?


yes...2.4 miles of swimming, 112 miles of biking and 26.2 miles of running...all in one day...all in less than 17 hours...oye it's pretty crazy and pretty silly. But as I put it to someone else..."people climb mountains solely because they are there and well...Everest is much further away, more expensive and I don't think I would like sleeping in the snow or climbing over dead bodies. "


So...yes...I will embark upon 140.6 miles of insanity in 367 days.


In the meantime…I’ve got half of that silliness to focus on. Just under 4 weeks til Vineman 70.3! And I am….EXCITED.

7 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

OMG! Rocketpants - you wonderfully crazy gal! I am SO excited for you!!!

Now, did you put that video there to scare yourself? Is that an age group start or everyone? Sure looked like everyone.

Idaho is SO pretty -my cycling coach Sage Rountree just did that race.

You go girl!!

Chris said...

You certainly can surprise me Pants! I think doing a season of velo racing might be a really good way to keep the long training months fresh.
You're going to do great, after you wipe the floor with me in Sonoma, you'll itching to certify yourself with an M-dot. I hope you'll love IM just as much as I do - it's quite a journey!

Speed Racer said...

Sputter! Cough! Waiting for the "PSYCH!"... waiting for it... waaaaaiting for it...

... where is it? Wait? Are you serious?

I can't believe my eyes. I really can't. If there's one person I thought I would never, ever, EVER see jumping on that Mdot bandwagon it would be... Angry. But then you'd be right behind him, NOT jumping on that bandwagon.

Not that I don't think you can do it. I think you *can* do it. I think you'll be great at it. I think I'll learn a lot about physiology watching you go through the process.

But I still can't believe it.

I'm shocked.

Shocked.

BAM said...

this is going to be a party.a grueling 6 month party. awesome!

Formulaic said...

WAY TO GO!

You'll rock it out there.

COngrats

Bob Almighty said...

Congrats you have drunk the ironman kool aid...and it's grape flavored...yum.

Good luck out there, granted I'm sure with all the track riding you're bike split is gonna be fire.

Runner Leana said...

You signed up!!!! AWESOME!!!!!!