Monday, June 15, 2009

I took the train to Disneyland! (and then...rode my bike home)

This weekend was the end of two pretty heavy training weeks with a culmination of me taking the train to Disneyland/Anaheim and then riding my bike back with Chris and another guy from the tri club. 81miles...longest bike ride ever for me and it.was.awesome. The day was perfect, overcast and not too windy. We all just kept saying: itsn't this such a great ride! Ok...at mile 70 i was hurting a bit, but it didn't matter and Chris somehow convinced me that I really should do that 2 mile brick that I really didn't want to do. But just 'something' to get the legs movin, nothing special.

If anything those two miles gave me huge confidence about Vineman 70.3...ran off those 80miles even with things hurting, into 9 and sub 9pace which is where i'm hoping to hit for my race. Very happy.

Told my family about my adventures only to hear: you are nuts. I'm used to hearing that now.

Unfortuantely since late last week the ol hip/psoas issues have been back. Not inducing actual hip pain or knee pain as it has in the past, but lots of tenderness and LOTS of massive trigger points on my belly and into my hip. Not fun especially when it is contracting and aching and it feels literally like I ate a rock.

Been trying to use some massage therapy to help it out...and today my massage therapist and I further continued to try to find the root cause of some of this. While the spasm was profoundly noticed after I fell in Nov 2007 I actually have believed for a long time I have some sort of functional leg length discrepency. My massage therapist noticed today that while standing, my injured side is shorter than the other even though my hips are aligned and in the same plane. PT's have noticed this as well as chiropractors, even though my legs hip joint to heel are the same length...MY question is: WHERE IS THE ROOT CAUSE OF THIS LENGTH DISCREPANCY??!!

So far...no one knows. It doesn't make sense (at least to me) and really my massage therapist just keeps giving me 'homework' every time I see him to try to help with the psoas. (like I don't have enough things to do?) Last time it was just to stretch out my QL region where you make the number 4 with your legs and reach for your toes. Ok...easy enough...this time? 1)I need to work on exhaling...um...what? 2)And I need to go to yoga. Of course a yoga teacher would tell me that, but I think he does have a point. ug...back to yoga...i do try to love it...but if I'm honest about it, I don't.

4 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

Nice ride, You are going to Rock Vineman!

sorry the Posas is acting up and forcing you back into the room full of soccer moms, wannabe hippies and guys who have had way too much starbucks trying to breathe through their hip bones.

But yoga can't be all that bad can it?

Runner Leana said...

Riding home from Disneyland sounde like a lot of fun. Nice job on the ride! Hopefully you can get your psoas sorted out. I'm with you yoga. I see the benefit, I generally feel better afterwards, but I have a hard time getting into it. I think it is just a little too laid back for me... Or maybe I'm just not flexible enough to enjoy it.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Oh no, not pain. That sucks. Hope it goes away, and fast. Yoga really does have amazing healing powers. Even just the littlest bit. Encourage you to give it a try. Gentle though.

Sarah said...

Wow you're coming up for Vineman! Oh AWESOME!!!

How long will you be up here for??