Tuesday, June 02, 2009

It's gonna be a little gnarly

Basically 5 weeks until I start taper for Vineman 70.3 and 6.5 weeks til the race so the rest of my training looks a little like this: two weeks of gnarly training (for me), one week of less gnarly training, two more weeks of gnarly training, two week of taper. So I am focused on the following things:
  • Getting enough sleep (already botched this one up last night when I couldn't stay alseep...arg!!)
  • Getting enough food. (I have trouble eating enough calories once done with a heavy workout. )
  • Replenishing my glycogen stores within 30mins of training
  • Drinking enough fluids during the day and during workouts
  • Dialing in my nutrition (Pretty close to this, but trying few new things)
  • Stretching and taking proper care of muscles with ice baths, massages, ect.
  • oh...and having fun
Few cool things going on...I am previewing the bike course on a computrainer next week. I'm pretty excited for that one. It will calm any anxiety about the bike I have (which remarkably is little).

Also what is nuts is there are a lot of firsts for me over the next 5 weeks before the actual race. First time riding 80 miles, First time running 16 miles, First time sitting on my trainer for 3ish hours (while I want to preview the bike course i'm not so sure how I really feel about being on the trainer that long).

So I doubt i'll be around much on the blogsphere here soon...mainly because of that whole: get enough sleep thing. But I'll do my best.

Happy training

4 comments:

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I am so excited for you! Glad to see your list...all important things. Especially the nutrition, sleep and stretching. Oh wait, that's pretty much the whole list, isn't it. You're going to LOVE these next 5 weeks!

Formulaic said...

The computrainer will be a big help. I wish I could say the time flys but it doesn't. It sucks. But it's no worse than you are already prepared for.

Plus it is some of the best training around!

I say go for it! Don't worry, you'll rock it and you'll rock Vineman too

Charisa said...

YAH it's getting close!!! I think you are right on track!

Formulaic said...

How did the computrainer go?

I bet you are gonna rock that course!