Thursday, July 03, 2008

It was bound to happen

This is my fifth triathlon season and my fourth with clipless peddles. Everyone tells you "you will fall over trying to clip out at some point". But most made reference to when you have first gotten your peddles...not after riding with them for 3+ years. Granted I'm not sure if I really get to say that I fell over because I forgot to clip out. I did clip out. I clipped out, just like I normally do. It went something like this:

Left foot out. Left foot on the ground. Realizing that I need to push stop light button with right hand. Lean to the right to push the button. Left foot on ground. Reaching to my right. Right foot clipped in. Losing balance. Losing traction with left foot because I'm in stupid bike shoes. Still losing balance. Gaining balance. Losing balance. Need to clip out right foot. Can't clip right foot out. Half way still up. Am I falling? Can't clip out right foot. Slipping with left foot. Gaining balance. Losing balance. I'm ok. No I am falling. Falling. Not even sure how I hit the ground, but now right knee is bleeding. Nice. Feel like a total tool for falling over on my bike while technically clipped out. Really, I shouldn't be let out of my house. Granted I ran into my ottoman yesterday and gave myself a good bruise. I am safe nowhere.

The funny thing about it was...i was in a PISSY mood prior to the crash. But the rest of my bike ride I just had to laugh at myself because I was so lame.

I'm stuck in limbo for the next two weeks from all the crap that happened last week...so while things are better this week, i'm am realizing it is all making me really stressed and I'm 'dealing with it' in weird ways. Basically being a little overly dramatic over minor things. Its been kinda funny actually.

Last week I was so excited about my HUGE accomplishment for me at crossfit. I did SEVEN out of the eight hollow rock tabatas. I typically have pathetic core strength so these kill me every time. Hollow-rock tabata is you basically are lying on the ground, put your legs 6" in the air, put your hands either at your side or over your head, and 'rock' back and forth, but you can't rock too much so that you get to use momentum. Now do that for 20 seconds. Take a 10 second break and repeat for a total of 8 times. You can only count the 20 second session if you don't poop out in the middle of it. Previously I had only made 4 sessions...but last week i made SEVEN. There are a few tips and tricks to it...like don't rock too fast and i found that putting my hands to my sides didn't make my back hurt which also helped. Then I tried to do L-sits and made it literally about a second. OK... so my abs had had enough at that point. My L-sits are rather pathetic any way.

5 comments:

Speed Racer said...

Did you fall over dying like that guy did on the L-sits? Because I think maybe he was being a little overly dramatic.

Sucks about the falling, but if it makes you feel any better that sort of thing could happen to anyone. Sure, it happened to you, but it COULD have happened to someone else... maybe... perhaps... if they were new at this. Anyway, you didn't mention that there were a lot of people around, so can I assume that at least not a lot of motorists saw your graceful feat of acrobatics?

rocketpants said...

No...blatantly in the middle of an intersection on one of those crosswalk islands. I have to make a spectacle of myself when I do it. There really is no other way to do it.

katie b said...

sounds like your dealing well with things and having a good time being able to laugh with yourself as you do it! keep on girl, you so got it :)

Runner Leana said...

Oh no, so sorry to hear about your clipping out/falling over incident! I hear these things always have to happen around a lot of people. I'll get some bike shoes and pedals soon and I'm sure I'll have plenty of tales to tell...

Sarah said...

Oh man...I had to laugh about your falling while clipped in thing. I felt so bad for you! I still remember what it felt like when I was first riding and back THEN I felt like a moron - I can only imagine how you felt 3 years into it! But you know, it could happen to any of us. Just a freak thing. :)

Thanks SO MUCH for posting those hollow rock tabatas...I'm ALWAYS looking for new ab workouts (though of course my genetics basically dictate that unless I do a gazillion ab workouts EVERY DAY I will ALWAYS have some tummy fat...doesn't mean I can't have strong abs underneath...). I can't wait to try it out!