Sunday, July 27, 2008

Questionable company

Saturday I decided to try a new group to ride with and it did suit me very well. I had a great time and was reminded how sucky my hill work has been as well as how little my my overall mileage has been, but alas...I had a great time. I think I just made friends with those people that a person's mom would say would be "questionable company". You know, growing up when parent's worry about who you are hanging out with, the 'questionable company' that puts silly ideas in your head or influence you in various (typically negative) ways. Well...I have to say two of the women on this bike ride might fit into this category(but I would argue, not a negative influence, just a bike variety influence). I mean I haven't been on a mountain bike since I was 15 and ended up on a spine board after wrecking, but the ride leader, more a mountain biker than a roadie, is convinced I should try it again (the jury is still out on that one). And then between the two of these women they have convinced me to come check out the Velodrome this week as they are taking some track bike riding lessons and I should have a gander. "You know in just two weeks they are starting track bike lessons again for beginners." Or even instilling some creative ways I might be able to bike commute at least part of my ride to work? I like more biking mileage, I just hadn't thought about their version. What in the world did I just get myself into? I think it is all a good thing, even though it does continue to support my Sports ADD mentality.

I did get in a great bike ride with this group and had a lot of fun. The Saturday ride did spark a lot more contacts of people to ride with so that was great too.

Today's 7 mile run was sluggish and slow. For San Diego, it decided to be muggy today...which took me by surprise as usually the humidity is quite minimal in this area. Sorta sapped it out of me like humidity does anywhere, especially when I'm not used to it. But I slogged through it and got it done.

I think i've caught up on all the blog posts I've missed over the past few weeks as I've been in and out of town and in the mean time chasing my tail.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

Humidity SUCKS! Glad you made it through anyway. :)

I love hearing all about your athletic ADD and possible new adventures to embark on! I'm still scared of mtn biking but maybe someday...

I know what you mean about catching up...I'm behind on blogs AND emails.

Paul said...

Variety is nice! And yes it was pretty humid. Esp on sunday.

Runner Leana said...

How do you find the group rides? I've looked around here, but thanks to insurance policies you have to become a member of a club, or at least the Alberta Bike Association, before they will even let you show up for group rides. I'm not sure I want to drop the cash before I've had a chance to think about it.

Speed Racer said...

I've known you for... what? A year? You're pretty, shall we say, "accident prone". Although I would love reading the stories, I would worry about you on a mountain bike. Can I be a mother and insist that if you do it again, you do it in full football padding, wrapped in bubble tape?