Saturday, November 17, 2007

Running with more strangers

I just got back from a business trip to Houston, TX...I'll sum it up like this...lots of big trucks and lots of traffic. That was about all I saw of Houston, trucks and traffic. I was there for some *facinating* training....um, insert some sarcasm now. But it was necessary stuff for work, so it was time well spent.

The biggest bummer of the trip was a fight with a cold or something I started to have. Despite my sluggishness and feeling pretty yucky I did squeeze in a nice 4 mile run at a park in Houston which was good.

This morning I could have done a club tri sprint race...and while it was quite tempting to do...feeling like my whole energy had been sucked out of me and the thought of swimming in the cold ocean mixed with feeling under the weather didn't really sit well with me. So I joined another running group...again, no one I knew...it was small, and only me and four other people were running the 5 mile loop. I absolutely could not hang with the other people running 5 miles, but at the end of the day, it didn't really matter. It is more about me and the run...the doing this with a running group is more for the meeting new people aspect. I had a pretty decent run, mpm about 10:30...pretty good for a girl feeling really crappy and sluggish. And I did meet some cool people, so that was good too.

I am planning on running a 10k on Thanksgiving. My friend whom I am going to the race with was funny about picking out a race. We were looking at some races and I thought I might do a 5K that day...but her feelings about 5K's are summed up as such " A 5K is such a short distance it doesn't really warrant getting up that early". And besides it is Thanksgiving...we gotta burn as many calories as we can before making throwing that down the tubes. As far as racing, I think the distance will give me at least a benchmark to see how my base is and go from there with plans for this next season.

I'm settling down from last week... my heavy heart and feelings of angst at 'being the new kid' have subsided...so that is a good thing. I knew it would pass...but that is the truth of moving to new places, some days it is a fun adventure while other days I just want to go back to being in a space that I know. I'm back to feeling like its an adventure. :-)

3 comments:

No Wetsuit Girl said...

I drove through Houston once and it smelled like BBQ sauce from one side of the city limits to the other, I kid you not. Did you find that? And why do you have to do all this new training, isn't that what grad school was for, sheesh?

Good luck with your race on Thursday. I side with your friend. I can't wait to see how it turns out. Hopefully you'll be feeling better by then.

Nitsirk said...

Glad you are feeling more at ease with your situation. I agree on the rationale for the 10k. Earn that turkey. Good luck!

mindy said...

Funny, I have a good friend who also summed up the 5K as "It just isn't worth getting out of bed for". I would want to be hopping in the ocean right now either - even in CA (I think the water is in the 40's here in Maine!). Enjoy the race on Thurs and Happy Turkey Day!