Thursday, November 22, 2007

Run for the Hungry 10K

I think it should be called "Run until you are hungry 5 and 10K" or "Run until you think you might be hungry" or "Run because later you will be hungry and will eat that second piece of pie 5 and 10K". Don't get me wrong, it is all for a good cause, but many people are mainly out to burn a few extra calories before the big binge.

So last night I did get in a dosing of yoga, and am concluding that it may actually be my back and IT bands that are causing the hipflexor distress. That or the fact I bought new running shoes and have only been on less than 5 runs on them...and the shoes hate me. One of the two...or both. So i tried running with my older shoes today to see the effect. (I won't know the effect until tomorrow.)

The race went pretty well. It was two loops of 5K...as it was a 5K and a 10K....um...this pretty much sucked. The 10Kers started before the 5Kers...which I felt sorry for the speedy 5K people who had to pick their way through the 10K crowd...but on the second loop we had to navigate dogs, and people walking across the WHOLE road. There should be sign posted, or they should have to sign something that TELLS them...get OVER if you are walking. The second loop was a lot of weaving around everyone and their dog...quite literally.. as you could bring dogs along for this run.

Anyway, the goal at the moment was to break 1 hour...and I did. 57:07. First 5K 29:23, second 5K 27:44...nicely negatively split the race. 9:13mpm...avg HR 173 with a max HR of 191. I am starting to see some edges of my fitness come back...and it will with some time and consistency...so it is encouraging.

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

3 comments:

Joe B said...

Nice race.

Happy thanksgiving.

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

Hope you're having a fab Thanksgiving weekend.

Nice negative split, btw.

Stay tuned...

Formulaic said...

Whoa! I though you said that you were slow! In fact I think the exact words were "wicked slow".

Those times were GREAT! Nice negative split too! Very impressive! Give yourself some good props for that one.

Hope your hip-flexor feels better soon.