Monday, November 12, 2007

A new decade...

Ummm...the shoos. These are my 'birthday' shoos...I know you can't run in them or bike in them so on first glance they seemingly seem to have little 'value' to a triathlete such as myself. And only because they have a solid platform heel can I even attempt to walk in them. But birthday shoos were for birthday fun this past weekend...and fun it was. I have officially entered a new decade and 'aged up' even though all summer I sported that 30 on my calf...it now is official. And well...I don't feel much different than 3 days ago :-) aside from my friends making me wish they were all here with me to celebrate. I've been carrying a bit of a heavy heart since saturday and all the festivities and the cards in the mail. Sunday it really hit when I went to a new church and all I could think while I was parking my car was "I am SO tired of being the new kid".

I know, I know...its only been, what... 6 weeks...and I will be the new kid for another 6 months to a year (at least in my prior experiences). It takes that long to settle in and stop being 'new'. There are great things about being 'new' to a place and I do enjoy them but sometimes I just want that new place to stop being so new and start feeling like 'home'. My heavy heart will pass. Life is not static, it does not mean that we cannot live deeply and love those close to us, but change also stretches us and hurts a bit in the meantime, even though it can still be the best thing for us. And while I am extremely happy to be here, leaving friends is like leaving a part of my heart behind too.I always know that my heart will grow back, but I never stop missing those pieces I left behind either. Its a good thing, but can make my heart hurt too.

And a new adventure for the week...first time to travel for the company. I'm off to TX tomorrow for some training for the rest of the week. Have a happy week of training.

4 comments:

TriZilla said...

A Happy happy Birthday!!! Yay, another one is here with me in the big 3-0. I keep hearing that it's way better than that last decade. :)

I totally HEAR YOU about being the new kid. It's a challenging time, but I keep looking at it as a new adventure. There will never be another time for me to do this the first time again. Just let it flow...

Is that hippie enough for ya? Missing you, wishing I was there too, we are doing EXAMS! The girls are NUTS! GAH! :)

Sending you fun birthday hugs!

Bullet said...

Happy B'day. Mine was the 6th! Woot! Hey, is that a pic on your blog?

No Wetsuit Girl said...

1) Happy Birthday!

2) Do what you love, and the transition will be easier because you can be yourself and don't have to worry about impressing anyone. But then again, I'm shy, so I usually get around being "new" by not talking to anyone. I open my mouth when people are used to me.

3) Bring food. Everybody likes food, so everybody likes the bearer of food.

4) Same as number three, except with beer.

Nitsirk said...

Happy Birthday. I love being 30-something. Old enough to know better, still too young to care. Plus people seem to take you seriously. The PhD helps too :)

I am still struggling with the "new kid" issue too. I am trying to embrace it as it is very exciting and since we are planning to stay here I doubt it will happen again. Think of it as a clean slate. Also, listen to No Wetsuit Girl. I brought brownies AND beer to a couple of gatherings and I have had plans every weekend as a result :) Have fun in Texas! Its going to snow here this weekend.