Monday, November 05, 2007

Just-push-the-botton

I'm currently making 'excuses' in my head over why I haven't made a decision about what was making me a bit ill to think about in a previous post. I've been telling my self that I can't 'decide' which race it is...but I finally realized it just freaks me out a bit ,which is why I have been avoiding it. So one of the races that has been making me ill to think about is doing my first 1/2 ironman. While I know many of you out there have done one...and for some...its something that you could almost do with out a second though...it is a bit daunting to me in an exciting...daunting...what-the-crap-am-i thinking kind of way. So...here are the races i'm looking at...and I have given myself til the end of November to decide and by Dec 1...I will have to put my money where my mouth is... so to speak... and make a decision. All the races have some pro's and con's...

Vineman July 20
Pro: I could drive to it (long drive...but I could if I wanted to ) I'm sure I could find people in this area who are planning on doing this race so I would actually know people at the race. Weather mid july in N.Cali isn't too terrible. I've been told this is a great race.
Con: Yet at this particular moment in time, I don't know anyone going there...but I think that would change in time. Hilly bike...but really what won't be.

Boise 70.3
Pro: My hometown...I KNOW these roads, even if I didn't bike them as a kid...which because I KNOW these roads that actually is a CON. (more on that later). I could see family...which I could arm twist into spectating...although I don't really know if they would be up for that. They think I"m weird enough with the whole tri thing with out adding something like a 1/2 ironman into the mix. They wouldn't really 'get it'. But that's ok.
Con: The first 20 miles of the bike course is something that would freak me out a LOT as the hills are pretty nasty. I grew up waterskiing where the swim is being held and on a weekly basis we would drive the what is basically the bike course. Lots and lots of hill training. The run isn't too bad though. Downside, Boise is at 3,000 ft of elevation...whether or not the fact I don't train at elevation would play a role...donno. Boise is very dry which is good and bad. And June 1 it can be either nice or it can be pretty warm in the 80s-90s.

I'm also considering trekking back to the North East...mainly because I'd get to see some friends so these are possibilities: Timberman (I did the sprint a year ago, and spectated for the 1/2), Patriot 1/2 (although reports after this year's event makes me hesitant) or Rhode Island 70.3.
But those all have the CON of having to schelp my bike cross country...and I will have been there a few weeks prior most likely as it appears I will be out in NE in May for work.

And also consider Lake Stevens as July in the Pacific NW can be nice. Pro: I have some close friends in that area, and I spent a good many undergraduate years in that area...so I like the area. Weather can be nice. Con: Shlepping the bike (although getting a direct flight isn't too bad). Weather has potential to be Seattle-y...which actually isn't too bad...that's more slightly raining and overcast which isn't terrible racing conditions.

Other major...MAJOR con with 1/2 IM in general is my work. I don't know how much i'll be traveling which makes me a bit nervous to commit to an 1/2 IM. And no one really knows how much I will be traveling until...well...it happens. Yeish.

This has been good...as I put this into writing, I am actually starting to make a decision. I'll let it sit for a few days. Any input on the races if you've done any of them is appreciated. Or thoughts for the nervous ninny i'm being of being reluctant to "JUST-PUSH-THE-FREAKING-BUTTON" on my first 1/2 IM. :-)

3 comments:

Nitsirk said...

I did the Timberman half-iron in 2006, it was awesome. I did Mooseman this year (same race director), also awesome. Both are well-organized and fun. The volunteers on the Timberman course are in costume and some water stations have themes. It's a big weekend party (but you know that since you did the sprint!). Also lots of free swag which is nice. I have heard good things too about both Vineman and Lake Stevens but having never been there I can't personally comment. Sounds like an awesome goal regardless of which you choose. Good luck!

Hmmm, I am wondering if Timberman is even still open, you might check that out and it could simplify your decision somewhat.

Paul said...

There are always several people from the tri club that do Vineman. Also consider Big Kahuna (sept in Santa Cruz) or SOMA (October in AZ). Those are both great independent race. Santa Barbara long course is a great race too in August but it's not a full half (1 mile/30 miles/10 miles)

mindy said...

I did Timberman this year and have done it in the past. It's a beautiful venue and really well organized. I think it is still open but not for long!