Monday, August 06, 2007

tempo run of sorts

So i've sorted out my 1/2 mary schedule for my Oct race and have put together a marathon training schedule of sorts for a Jan marathon.

I had planned to have a 4 mile tempo run today with a mile warm up and a mile cool down. Well massive side stitch at mile 4 along with insane humidity sorta hampered the training...but it's early in the training cycle...and i've got tons of time to get stronger.

So the stats(although I erased them off the watch...so from memory):

Mile time Avg Hr
1 11:11 145
2 9:18 165
3 9:18 170
4 11:xx 153
5 9:48 170
6 cool down...run...walk...couldn't get my heart rate down as it was so humid out.


What's cool is that in a few weeks time...i am certain I will see improvement with consistency. I was being a little hard on myself today because I didn't finish all 4 miles the way I had wanted to at LT...but then I realized...it doesn't really matter. I split two evenly...and have room for improvement on the other two. Big deal. Training is cool in that if you apply consistency to your program you WILL improve. My goal over the next few weeks is to be able to do all 4 parts of the tempo part...evenly...and then work towards negatively splitting the last two...someday. That day doesn't have to be soon its just what I hope strive towards: To be stronger as I finish a run and not fade at the end. That comes with consistency...that comes with practice and repetition.

As my (very Italian) violin teacher in college said in a heavy accent: repetition, repetition, repetition.

It will happen with consistency and repetition. I know it will.

4 comments:

No Wetsuit Girl said...

You're right, it'll all come together.

I never COULD get the tempo run thing down, either I run at my same pace as always (slow) or I try to run too fast and can't make it through a mile. I am thoroughly impressed that your inner metronome allows for consistency. You seem to have a runner inside you that's already starting to bust out.

Benson said...

Do Italians roll their r's?
You're doing grrreat!
High humidity sucks. It makes the hearrrt rrrate go all overrr the place.
Stay on it.

Nitsirk said...

Nice job! Yes, training is directly related to improved performance. Much unlike graduate school ;)

Ryan said...

It sure will! Sounds like a good plot! The ½ mary ;-) will be a great stepping stone for marathon training! From my experience one workout I’ve seen the greatest and fastest improvements from is hill training such as hill repeats, it’s a great exercise for building leg power, speed and supports good running technique too.

Happy training…