Thursday, August 02, 2007

and a runn'n

So curiosity got the better of me today. My training has been 'meeh' this summer with attention diverted elsewhere, and so i haven't been really that clued into my running. I'd been noticing my running was alright. I've been pretty chill about paces this summer, it's not my focus. Recently I've been seeing my long runs (of 6 miles) times drop between the 10-11 mpm pace. So I was curious how my cardio was holding and what I can just 'see' from how the 'engine' (aka...base endurance) is doing compared to the actual speed as speed will increase as endurance gets better (to a point) and then speed work needs to come into play. There is an interplay between endurance base and pushing the speed work.

I digress...anywho...basically the goal: 6 mile run, first mile warm up, next mile 150bpm, next mile 155 bpm, next mile 160bpm, next mile 165 bpm, next mile as fast as can I felt like dealing with...and a cool down.

It broke down like this
mile avg HR time
1 147 11:53
2 154 11:07
3 160 10:28
4 165 10:05
5 176 8:36
6 was more of a walk-run-walk for 13:50


I think this a great place to start from as I prep for a fall 1/2 marathon...and a winter marathon. I'm rather pleased considering everything that's going on.

And...i should add...it was WICKED hot...90 degrees...lots of humidity...shoulda run in the morning.

6 comments:

Nitsirk said...

Great start. I have used heart rate training very successfully. I used to run 10 min miles at about 155-160 and now I can run them at a HR about 145. At 160 I can bang out 8:30's now. Amazing how well it works when you stick with it. Good luck!

No Wetsuit Girl said...

It's SO wicked hawt! If this is your starting point (especially that 5th mile, day-om!), I see great times in your future!

Benson said...

Holy crap! That's good. I'm pretty close to those numbers myself.
You're gonna do great.

Joe B said...

Nice job. Should be able to do all 6 in under 10 now.

Bullet said...

You're in a good spot. Just keep pluggin. You gotta drop that "wicked" talk once you leave beantown.

Ryan said...

Negative splits are a very good sign!! Good start to a great half marathon and than an even better marathon! And remember it’s hard to do much in those temps…..just wait until it cools down you'll be cookin ;-)

Happy running