Saturday, June 21, 2008

wetsuits and interval work

Finally...four years into this silly sport I finally bought a wetsuit. Here's a tip...don't go wetsuit shopping when it is 85-90 degrees out and the tri shop doesn't really have air conditioning. That is actually the second time I've done that. I really don't learn.

The guy helping me was amazed I was even able to get into the wetsuits because it was so hot and made a comment about it right as I was getting ready to try on my last one. He totally jinxed my wetsuit shopping and by the last suit I could barely get it over my calves because they were too sweaty. But I found a nice Blueseventy sleeveless wetsuit. Bring on the open water swimming!

Friday I got a short run in at lunch...but it was at lunch and it was close to 100F...and while it was only 3.5 miles IT.WAS.HOT. I had planned to do some interval work and the first half of the run I got 2 out of my 3 intervals in, but the last interval was not happening because I could tell I was on the verge of overheating, even if it was only 3 miles. (I am incredibly fair skinned so that also probably makes my ability to deal with heat not.so.good.). The plan was to get three intervals in that were at my AT (anaerobic threshold) which is ~170bpm for ~1 min, mixed in the run and then let myself recover down to aerobic levels for a few minutes and then do an interval after I had recovered. By my third interval my HR wouldn't settle down and I was starting to really feel the heat, so I bagged the last interval. With time I will increase the number of intervals I will do.

I didn't have my watch quite set up correctly so that I could time those intervals, so I had to sorta guess how long a minute was and in the end actually ended up going close to the same distance.

First interval: 0.24 miles, 1:51 minutes, 7:44 mpm pace, HR 168bpm.
Second interval: 0.22 miles, 1:39 minutes 7:27 mpm pace, HR 170bpm.

I'm pleased with the work even though it was crazy hot. Was supposed to go biking this morning but woke up feeling a bit sick so decided to bag it. 8 mile run is up for tomorrow. Planning to get to the beach too!

1 comment:

Runner Leana said...

Congrats on the new suit! 3.5 mi in 100F weather? Yikes, that is hot!