Thursday, June 12, 2008

New things

So...I tried it. I promised I would, and I figured I would hate it and then move on. I could blame my dislike on the team, on my boredom, on anything but at least I tried, right? Give it the 'ol college try?

Last week at work someone asked me to play softball for their team. They needed more women. I just wanted to say: So you really just want me for my two x chromosomes...yea, I don't really feel that wanted. But in an effort to meet new people at work I decided to give it one try. I promised I'd try once.

Here's the thing, I don't play softball. I don't even know how to. I've only played ONE other time in my adult life. And I was bored. To.TEARS. So I never went back. And I think I might have played in high school gym class...but that was it. It wasn't until I lived in MA that anyone bothered to explain the rules of the game...being surrounded by red socks fans someone is bound to over excitedly explain how to play the game.

I played soccer in high school (use your feet) and Ultimate in college (flat ball...not round ball) and now...i do some tri stuff and a little bit of this and that, but throw and catch and HIT a ball...no way.

But I went out. And I threw the ball. And I caught the ball. And you know what?? I HIT THE BALL AND DIDN'T GET OUT!! I had a base hit! Woohoo! My team even tried to call me a ringer. (no i'm not that good, but they were being nice and i think secretly trying to get me to join the team). And...shhhhhhhhh...it was fun.

Granted the fun-ness of the game also was in the fact that we kicked some serious butt, the innings weren't too long, and there is a time limit on the game...so the game can't be very long either.

Me and my athletic ADD at it again. Looks like another thing to put on the schedule!

7 comments:

Paul said...

Got that hidden talent! you didn't even know! good times.

triguyjt said...

they called you a ringer???

shoot, now your gonna be insufferable to your coworkers..asking for more games to play in... you'll neglect your crossfit training.... life as you now it will be over....

watch out for red sox fans!!!!

Formulaic said...

HA!

Sounds fun. Short Innings are a big boon. That seems to me what makes the game drag on.

Maybe you found ANOTHER calling!

Mark it down as 'cross-training'

Sunshine said...

Isn't it fabulous! You can do nearly anything. What a great time you are having... good for you.

Bob Almighty said...

Crossfit at work! I will admit it Softball/baseball/wiffleball is good cross training.

Benson said...

way to go slugger.

Sarah said...

That is funny. I suck so much at softball. I'm scared of the ball, too.

I'm glad I have a companion in this whole athletic ADD thing. :) Next up for me: adventure racing. I'm trying one in Sep. ;)