Tuesday, October 30, 2007

running with strangers

So...i went to my first workout with the tri club here...and it was good. I met some new people which is good since I can be a bit of an introvert at times and sometimes meeting new people can be exhausting. So far I've found that in many spheres of my life, here in S.Cali everyone has made it really easy to meet new people, which has been great. I even ended up meeting Paul, fellow blogger who had quite the race at SOMA on sunday. (check out his RR for some awesome racing and drama).

It was a 5ish mile workout. I haven't been out for a run since my 1/2 marathon two weeks ago, so it was good to get out and the air quality was good and the weather was great. But I realized, I've never been to a 'group' run before...and in someways its a little weird to just run with random strangers. Over the past 4 years, I've either had a dedicated training partner who I did almost every work out with, or other running buddies, or I just ran country roads all by myself...but I've never joined a sports organization like a tri-team either. I've only ever played on sports teams so doing workouts in an organized way just has a different feel to me. I'll be back for sure...even though I'm super slow. It'll keep me running over the winter.

4 comments:

Benson said...

You may feel super slow now but stick with those group runs and you'll be faster in no time. Way to go.

Paul said...

Thanks for introducing yourself. :) I had no idea what you looked like, so that helped! Glad you made it. I hope to see you at many more events and workouts.

Nitsirk said...

I am impressed. I am chicken to go to a group run. I am finding Masters swimming to be a lot of fun though so maybe...

Congrats on meeting new people, its kind of exciting :)

No Wetsuit Girl said...

So you recommend it? I've been thinking of doing the same thing, but the idea of talking to *gulp* strangers kind of scares me. Also I'm afraid that they're going to tell me to do something differently, and I'm not good at taking suggestions. Keep us posted on how it works out for you.