Sunday, December 03, 2006

The year of the Runner....2007

Recently a friend of mine has accused me of having a running “problem”...whatever that means. ;-)


Now, 6 months ago if you told me that I would develop a running problem I would tell you “only if you mean some sort of injury” as in ‘problem’. I’m good that that…ITBS, piriformis issues, wickedly tight hamstrings and hips…those are typically my running 'problems'. But, now I’m realizing that I really might have the type of running 'problem' that I’ve been accused of having.

I will always be a triathlete in my mind, but this fall training for Hartford I realized that I also have very much a runner persona too. So, both triathlete and runner…and as I started to plan out this next year…I think that runner persona will come to light a little more.


My overall thoughts on triathlon are that this year will be a running focus and next year I will hopefully be in a place where I have the time and the location to be more ‘cycling’ focused and join a bike club or more ideally a tri-club. That’s my thinking any how.


And as I start to plan out my year I’ve discovered that this running “problem” has definitely come to light. As of this moment...I am planning on running a my first marathon in the fall. (Did I just write that?) Since I don’t know where I will be living in the fall…I haven’t completely picked one out. But I do have two that I am debating about. So with that as a major goal this year, I have started to plan out little bits and pieces here.

So…this is what I think I know so far in terms of running:

March, I’m running a ½ marathon. This will be a good way to tune up and focus on my base and aerobic building over the winter and not be a slacker.

March-June will be a speed work focus so that I will be ready for my tri-season.

June-July…I will definitely do one Oly, and hopefully one other tri.

July-Aug…try not to go crazy from dissertation writing. Plan a little down time…and begin a fluid marathon schedule that will have been built into other parts of my year.

Oct-Nov…somewhere in there I will run a marathon.

So…since the over all goal of the year will be the marathon….I think I will break my blocks of training into: 1st block, base building increase mileage and volume, 2nd block reduce some volume and add some speed work, 3rd block focus on the marathon.

Although all that being said, even though I say that 2008 will be a focus on cycling since 2007 will be a focus on running, I’m already recognizing that I’m in complete denial about the severity of my running “problem”. (smile)So as I pretend that this year is all about running focus and next year will be about cycling focus...really...honestly...I think I’m kidding myself. (giggle) Because with all that said, I’m already thinking about 2008 running races as I would really like to do this ½ marathon and I am currently i might be able to swing the time to do this in 2008. Between now and then, I just have to learn to love both the up and the down of hills. (I’ve been told that the hardest part about this race isn’t running UP the hill, but it’s the coming DOWN).

Running "problem" or not...I do love being a triathlete. More and more, I'm amazed and excited how I will probably be a life-long athlete. It's really great.

4 comments:

Pete (Bib# 70) Hagen said...

These are great problems to have...much better than that insomnia thing! "Runner", "Triathlete", "Cyclist"...whichever tag you assign, you're probably simply an "athlete" like you're saying. Or you could go with the slang term "jock".
Be glad you're not one of these: slacker, lazy, coach-potato, loser, wimp or squishy.
Keep enjoying the journey!!!

Joe B said...

There are worse things than being a triathlete with a running problem...

Bolder said...

thanks for the comment love rocketpants! i guess NaBloComHo has started early!!

sometimes, i think i am a triathlete, so that i can run.

cycling strengthens my knees, swimming massages my knees, and running tears them down.

they seem to be all working together! i know i could never just run and not get injured.

take care, bold.

DV said...

i second bolder- when I run focus,I ALWAYS get injured. The swim/bike/weights keeps everything in balance...
If it works for your schedule consider St Jude for your 1st marathon. Good late fall weather (high 30's to low 50's for racedays), and hills of the very small persuasion... great atmosphere also!