Saturday, December 09, 2006

mystery solved

Ever since monday when I succeeded in actually lifting weights, i've been battling weird twingy legs, specifically my left hamstring. I've had a lot of dull pain around the knee, and the hamstring. The fact I spend a lot of time on my feet has sorta exacerbated the problem a little, but it never really hurt that bad...enough to make me sorta freak out, but no sharp pain. I figured i had over lifted with my hamstrings, which i sorta knew...and thought that the pain would subside with time. Things didn't get better or worse as the week went on and by Friday I started wondering what was happening.

Today as I was massaging my quad and hamstring and I discovered a rather large, inflamed trigger point on my IT band. Yowsa. So i managed to inflect a fair amount of pressure and pain on the trigger point, to try to get the muscles to relax enough and cause some really nice bruises...they sure are purdy. This helped alleviate some of the tightness in the muscles. I also decided a run might help the situation out as running helps warm the muscles and then get some good stretching in afterwards would help the silly IT band. So I got a nice easy 6 mile run in that...let's be honest...probably wouldn't have happened had I not talked to my friend JM. So it was a good day.

I think i need to find an acupressure/trigger point massage person in my area to try to deal with this ridiculous IT band issue. What's crazy is that when I was running more in the fall, i kept an especially close watch on my trigger points on my IT bands and they were fine...and now i'm running less, attempting to left weights, definitely NOT in a huge volume part of my training and my leg is freaking out. Bodies are sometimes so weird.

No comments: