Friday, December 01, 2006

Thoughts on 2007

I know it is only December 1…but I’ve been thinking about next season, well, since I finished Hartford back in Oct. So before I start breaking down the year into smaller pieces, I thought I would put forth my top 4 triathlon training goals.

1) To graduate. Preferably in Aug, but if not by Aug, then DEFINITELY by Dec.

2) New running pace goal for a ½ marathon. Although I have to admit, I’m not sure if this will happen in 2007. I’d more like to work towards during 2007.

3) Race weight goal. This will help the previous goal.

4) During prep/base season to swim 1 day a week. During training focus of the season, 2 times a week. Sounds a little weak I know, but I need to start small. Last season I realized I missed more swimming workouts than I achieved. Yikes. So I thought that being consistent first would be a great place to start.

So in light of Goal number one, I realize that my tri season is going to be a little on the short side of things. At the moment I’m planning on at least one Oly in June. If I had things my way, I would do two Oly’s and a sprint between june and mid july, but I tend to be a little on the conservative end of things when my dissertation comes into play. I get the feeling 3 races in 6 weeks might be too much as I should be in dissertation writing mode by that point. I think I’m going to pick out the other two races that I’d like to do during June and July and leave those as race day sign ups for them. I haven’t picked out my Oly as of yet, but I’m debating between a couple of them.

And as I’ve made these goals and sit and think about how my tri season might be shorter than I’d like, I’ve started thinking that I might fill in some those gaps with a little more on the running focus. I think 2007 will be the year of the Runner for me.

No comments: