Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Fast Twitch Muscles

I have them, I do! This season I’ve proved to myself that I really have fast twitch muscles…and they are faster than I thought. It’s been a fun discovery. So this morning the training goal was to find out how fast I can run a single mile in. Since I was told on Saturday this is what today’s work out would be, I’ve been thinking about it a bit over the past few days. Interesting memories have floated to the surface as I’ve tried to think about ‘how’ to run fast.

One particular one came to mind was when I was 8 years old and in 2nd grade how I ran the 200m in ‘Track and Field’ day and I won. Oh yea, I could run as a little kid. (I also was one of the tallest kids in elementary school, at least when I was little I had long legs.) I’m just not that tall a person anymore. I’m not that short, just under 5’ 4’’but I’m usually reminded that I’m not tall either when I can’t reach things on the top shelf and I need a taller housemate of mine to help me out. Sigh.

But this morning I discovered that I’m faster than I thought. Rocketpants may just surface if I’m not looking too hard for her (I think she’s shy). As I started running on the track another track memory came to mind. When I was in 6th grade I ran the 4 x 200 relay and made the City track meet. I think we came in second. But I do remember I wasn’t the slowest leg on the relay…I began to think ‘maybe those fast twitch muscles are really there.’

And so I started my mile and a half warm up. Warmed up a mile, stretched, ran another half and then it was time to figure out the fastness in my legs (even if they were still sore from my long run on Sunday…that was no excuse).

The goal: run fast, no negative self talk, run fast, relax, and run fast.

Final time for 1 mile: 7:24!! Avg HR 182

I thought I might be able to pull of something sub 8 mins, but my time was an awesome surprise. I accomplished all my goals. It was great.

A good night’s sleep has helped my disposition today…and finding out that my legs can go…go…go has been fun.

1 comment:

TriBoomer a.k.a. Brian said...

WAY. TO. GO!

Sub 7:30 mile is a great time. Keep working between slow twitch sessions (long and slower runs) and fast twitch workouts and you'll see your race times come down.

Again, congrats.

Stay tuned...