Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Being heckled

Some runs dumbfound me...sometimes they are just runs that EVERY GUY feels the need to heckle me or give their input on my run. Within a block of taking off I heard one guy say: just 28 miles to go!! I even had these two middle school boys decide to take up singing a song about exercise while I ran past. I guess I should be flattered that they made up a song just for me...it did make me laugh pretty hard. And last week, when I was on the run where i thought I was broken because my heart rate kept diving through the floor, a guy who was doing road work proceeded to sing a the theme song from a sports movie (can't remember which one)as I ran up the hill....seriously??

What I find the funniest about the heckling is sometimes I can go for a 10 mile run and the only issue I have is trying to get people to get out of my way and they are none the wiser that I'm even there...and other times I can't go more than a mile without some some guy insisting on interjecting some comment...like he is the funniest person on the planet. Like I haven't heard a million times 'just keep running!' Granted it is a few steps above being cat-called.

Today's run was fantastic. Being slightly over trained over the past week I've had to dial things back a little bit and sadly have missed out on two fun training days at the velodrome. Sadness. But I'd rather address things early, not get sick or injured and still continue to enjoy my training so dialing things back didn't mean no training just easing up a bit. Granted I am always amazed at how connected the body is to the mind and what is going on mentally. To say I've been stressed out doesn't quite capture the breadth of all that's been hitting me over the past few weeks. Life comes in waves, never in just manageable bits does it? But I think I'm cresting this wave at least a little bit right now so I am pressing forward and always hoping for the best.

4 comments:

Charisa said...

Awesome job on the run and the bike race! And being heckled is annoying isn't it?

Chris said...

Funny, guys don't comment on my running ;) Maybe they're trying to lure you out of camp...

Speed Racer said...

It must be that you look so intense when you're running. People probably think that you're a pro athlete or something.

I was riding home from work (on my bike) through the city and this guy on the sidewalk yelled "ZOOOOM!" at me. I stared at him, trying to figure out if he was being mean or not, and when I looked back where I was going I almost went ass over teakettle, over handlebars, over taxi when this cab cut me off to pull over without signaling. Some people just need to STFU.

FLATOUT JIM said...

I get heckled all the time.

I think its a "Hey that person is doing something healthy and fit, I'd better say something stupid to make me feel better" Kinda thing.

Rather than a "Hey there goes a fit attractive woman in tight clothing. If I say something unbelievably stupid and funny she will stop and talk to me and maybe I'll get lucky. HEY BABY, NICE SHORTS" Kinda thing.