Wednesday, January 21, 2009

ADT center and lots of other things

Next Challenge:
My next challenge....is to stop freaking myself out about going up to the ADT center in LA to ride the track. So... it is decided...I have to stop freaking myself out because some friends and I are going up for a women's only session in a few weeks (any takers? Only 10 dollars to learn to ride the track AND ride at the ADT center... More info here.) But after reading this page...I will be honest I sorta wanted to throw up at the thought of it. Why? Here are a few comments from the page that make me go...huh?

The blue band:
Because the ADT track is so steep in the corners, riders on the blue band can be a serious hazard to riders who are going fast in the sprinters lane. Fast moving riders in the sprinters lane are tilted over so that their heads and bodies are out over the blue band, so it's possible for them to collide with a rider on the blue band, even while their wheels are a meter apart.

Balustrade:(This is at the top of the track)

The final riding position is the balustrade. Like the blue line, the balustrade has a limited formal role in racing, but is commonly used as a training zone. Generally more experienced riders will do part of their training effort at the balustrade. Be aware that the balustrade takes more effort and skill to ride safely than the lower parts of the track. Although the banking is the same, the radius in the turns is larger so the centripetal force as you go through the corner will be lower for the same speed-- you need to ride faster to avoid slipping.


And in general:
If you slide down the track your session is over for the day. Keep your speed high enough to avoid slipping off.

Slipping...sliding...it is a mind bend to get my head around it. The track I ride is something like 27 degrees...this one is 46 degrees and two stories tall! BUT I'm going to do it AND in just a few weeks. And I'm pretty stinkin excited too! (even if it kinda still makes me want to throw up...just a little bit.)

other stuff...

Lots of stuff going on with training and regular chaos of life. Went for a bike ride this weekend with a friend of mine and here is a little reminder for everyone...eat your wheaties (or really anything). Um...yea, my friend didn't eat breakfast and bonked so bad she passed out after we had stopped and were looking at our map. Not a fun way to end one's ride for the day. So I will forever ask people I ride with: Did you eat breakfast?

Should I apologize?
Ever feel like non-endurance athletes or just people who maybe just 'workout some' put you in a spot that makes you feel like you should apologize for your endurance?? (and i'm not even in the prime of my season right now!)I went skiing this week and basically skied a couple of the guys I was with into the ground...and could have gone for at least another 5 or so runs if I had wanted to. One of them said to me: just tell me your legs are a least a little tired...please? um...ok...my legs are tired?? Granted I did sorta pay for it in my own way as the next day I was swimming like a rock...but I wasn't sore...just feeling low on energy and tired.

Trying to catch up with everything hard to juggle it all at times...but doing my darndest.

7 comments:

Bob Almighty said...

46% of banking..man that's steep...good luck.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

Oooh, that sounds scary fun!

You should have gone for 5 more runs...those boys could have spent the time sipping hot chocolate in the lodge in front of a the fireplace.

Charisa said...

OMG you rock! Seriously - I'm so impressed at your track riding skills! I would be freaked out, but I want to try it some day . . . when I have a little more free time :) Can't wait for your post on it!

And I hear ya on the apologizing for endurance - it's oddly fun, but sometimes I feel bad for it! Weird!

Angry Runner said...

Not strict endurance; strength endurance You're putting your legs under repeated and dynamic load in which your legs must absorb and control your body. Hell, skiing is more "Fran" than 10K.

Bob Almighty said...

I'm dying to know how you made out at the track....

Speed Racer said...

Don't apologize, *inspire* (the little asterisks are for jazz hands making little sparkle movements around your face). Probably your life is the one that your friends talk about at parties.

And I want to see VIDEO of someone crashing into another rider on the blue band. That would be great. I'm still itching to try my fixed gear, and every time I see it, I think of you.

Can't wait to read about slipping and sliding on the track! Hopefully it won't be you who's doing the slipping.

Benson said...

Holy crap my pants.
that sounds really awesome scary fun.
Hammer it.

I have friends like your ski buddies too. I tell them that they'll have their day...as I leave them in the dust.