Saturday, December 06, 2008

was it really 10 years ago?

I sorta can't believe how quickly time can pass. This spring it will have been 10 years since I went backpacking around Europe. It doesn't seem *that* long ago...where does the time go? Anyway I got the chance last week to visit one of my favorite cities from that trip...Prague. I was over in Europe for work, but snunk in an extra day or so and got to see Prague. Here are a few pics:















The Christmas market was in full swing in the main square...here is part of it.






The famous clock in the main square











These things were pretty yummy...sorta a sugary/almond coating














Prague Castle...and the cathedral inside the castle.






















A nativity in the courtyard of the castle.




These guards are great and sorta reminded me of the beefeaters in London, but here you can get up close to them...I actually wanted to take a replicate picture from the time I was there last...but I got too embarrassed to ask a stranger to take a picture of me pretending to push the guard's box over. :-) That is what my picture from 10 years ago is of...me pretending to push the guard box over and the guard just standing there. If I had a friend take a picture of me, i would have done it. It would have been awesome to have two similar photos that were ten years apart, but it took a lot for me to ask a stranger to take my picture in the end and actually that particular picture didn't come out very well anyways.





This strange fried dough with cheese, garlic and ketchup is called a Langose. It was interesting. I made quite the mess of it.
















And one of my favorite places in Prague:
















Charles Bridge, Unfortunately it is undergoing some repairs at the moment.



The rest of my time was spent in Germany for work...The trip to Germany went ok, parts of why I was there went well and parts did not. I now have a bunch of work on my plate because of the parts that didn't go as well as I had hoped. But such is life sometimes.

It was a little odd though because on the plane ride home I had way too much time to sit an think...espeically since I didn't sleep at all from Europe to the states and a lot of the past ten years really hit me in many ways I wasn't expecting. I sorta hate that when I get blindsided by my emotions, but sometimes that is how it goes.

Overall a good trip. I'm a bit jet lagged but seeing that it is 930pm and I didn't not take a nap today even though around 4pm I didn't know if I would make it to 8pm, i think i'm doing OK. Got some good yoga in this morning with my favorite instructor (who I think I overheard that he is leaving...SAD) and even a very short bike ride. A good day.

4 comments:

Charisa said...

awesome pictures - I think I'll need to visit there sometime now :)

Benson said...

wow, that is really cool. I love the photos. and that sugary thing looks yummy.

Kathleen @ ForgingAhead said...

I've heard Prague is amazing. Thanks for sharing the pics and the story. I agree with Benson - that sugary thing is right up my alley.

I hear you on the feeling reflective and little down. I think part of it is the time of year. The holidays are fun and challenging...sort of like a triathlon :-)

Sarah said...

GORGEOUS pics! That's great you had a chance to go back there. Thanks for sharing. :)